beewaxs

I have beewax a I would like to know how to melt I don't have a doulbe boiler so I have to use the m-wave but when I do and take it out to measure 1 teaspoon I pour it in my spoon and it gets soild ( I would like to know how to measure beewax without it getting soild Thank you. My daughter would like to make lip gloss -balm.

I get my beeswax in pellets and I measure them before melting. If you don't have it in pellets I guess you could break it off and measure and then melt. Be careful melting beeswax in the microwave, I have read it can catch on fire easily in the microwave.

Hi..beeswax..is it in a solid bar? I buy mine in 1 lb. bricks. I bought a pan at a yard sale for a dime..melted the brick in the pan. You won't be able to use it for anything else. After it melts..on low heat of course, I poured into a bowl (same yard sale..a dime..filled with ice water. It will harden into pieces. Dry them on a paper toels until totally dry to avoid molding, then break off what you need. HTH..Ruby

YOu cannot possibly measure melted beeswax, at least now without wasting a lot. I know, I've tried. The only way I found to do it is to melt way too much, then pour it into a plastic measuring spoon IMMEDIATELY. Then I put the spoon with the wax in it back in the microwave in the container you need to mix it in and melt it off the spoon.

But most recipes I've seen that call for a VOLUME of beeswax are talking about beads, pellets or pistelles (or however that is spelled).

As for weighing the same melted or solid - yea. The problem is when you are trying to measure by volume - the format matters - a greater weight of beads fits into a measuring spoon (for example) than pellets - and melted would be even more.

If you can get the density or specific gravity of beeswax I can calculate a weight for you if that would be easier. I just don't have time to look it up.

Its relative density at 15 0C is 0.958 - 0.970 g/cm3

So... 1 cc (cm3) = about .965 grams. 1 tsp = 5 cc = (5 X .965) = 4.8 grams. I would round though - and say a teaspoon of beeswax is about 5 grams, or a little over 0.15 oz.

This is all very rough because of all the rounding and estimating.

This is with melted or solid beeswax. If it is pellets or the like it would be completely different since air takes up some of the space in the measuring spoon.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Did you mean that when you stick the metal spoon in after it melts it gets hard? Try preheating your over and sticking the spoon in there while your beeswax is melting. Once the spoon gets warm, use a potholder to take it out and then take out that teaspoon of beeswax you needed from the melted beeswax.

Its relative density at 15 0C is 0.958 - 0.970 g/cm3

So... 1 cc (cm3) = about .965 grams. 1 tsp = 5 cc = (5 X .965) = 4.8 grams. I would round though - and say a teaspoon of beeswax is about 5 grams, or a little over 0.15 oz.

This is all very rough because of all the rounding and estimating.

This is with melted or solid beeswax. If it is pellets or the like it would be completely different since air takes up some of the space in the measuring spoon.

Good luck.

Scratching my head. :P I measure 1 oz beeswax add to my butters melt and that's it. If I'm off a millilitter or milligram shoot me. :bump: