Update post #7--Difference between 100% hydrogenated soybean oils? long

DonnaGA

Is there a difference between 100% hydrogenated soybean oils?

1)Do all 100% hydrogenated soybean oils have the same SAP value on lye calculators but give different properties to the soap? Example: hardness or curetime for hardness, bar color.

2)If using 100%HSBO from different sources, would the final results be the same but take a longer cure time for a hard bar.

3)Finally, If hydrogenation effects hardness, why do ingredient lists for solid shortening include partially-hydrogenated oils?

Some background.....

I would like to try Carrie’s soap recipe that has 37.5% of 100% hydrogenated soybean oil.

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=bandbgallery;action=display;num=1114437312

My Sam’s Club carries large containers of 100% hydrogenated soybean oil (from ingredient list). The HSBO Carrie described is semi-solid (scoopable) and very white. Sam’s is pourable and yellow (like most oils you see on a grocers shelf).

To confuse me even more:

I found this…. (http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216)

which includes…

--------------

RobinInOR 07-29-2005 10:20 AM

Mostly it's the degree of hydrogenation - how many double bonds are in the fatty acids. The fewer double bonds, the more hydrogenated, the harder the oil.....Hydrogenation doesn't affect the SAP value, supposedly, but might make a difference in the feel of the bar. Hydrogenation also extends the shelf life.

------------

And this…(http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10975) which includes…

-------------

Bunny 12-16-2005 12:48 AM

Ok.. Saponified means it has been reacted with lye. Hydrogenated means it started out as a liquid oil and changed to be a solid. Like hydrogenated soybean oil (crisco) is treated soybean oil. Hopefully someone else has a better explanation.. Man I need to go to bed! lol!

RobinInOR 12-16-2005 10:11 AM

Hydrogenated oil is still the oil - it's been reacted to lose it's double bonds between carbon atoms (some liquid oils have 1, 2 or more double bonds). Makes it more stable, and more solid.

----------------

I could really use some expert advise.

TIA,

donna

1)Do all 100% hydrogenated soybean oils have the same SAP value on lye calculators but give different properties to the soap? Example: hardness or curetime for hardness, bar color.

Yes :) Use the same SAP value for any of the soybean oils. Whether it's the liquid oil, or a harder hydrogenated one, it's going to have the same SAP.

2)If using 100%HSBO from different sources, would the final results be the same but take a longer cure time for a hard bar.

I'm betting the differences are really going to be minor.

3)Finally, If hydrogenation effects hardness, why do ingredient lists for solid shortening include partially-hydrogenated oils?

These oils are developed for cooking, so I'm sure these oils are a blend of oil structures to best work for frying or sauteing or whatever. Melting points and such... Labeling requirements for food is different than for bath & body, so who knows exactly what's in them. You have to give them a try and see the diff.

Are you sure the liquid, yellow oil from Sam's says hydrogenated? Hydrogenated soybean oil is the white, scoopable kind. The liquid, yellow is just plain soybean oil. I would not substitute it for hydrogenated.

I love the liquid kind and use it, but it's not the same as the hydrogenated. But the sap value is the same from what I understand.

Marilyna

Are you sure the liquid, yellow oil from Sam's says hydrogenated? Marilyna

Thanks Marilyna, I am very sure. However, The print quality of the label was very poor so I will check again before I buy.

Thanks Robin, I'll double check to make sure it is 100% hydrogenated soybean oil & if it is I'll give it a shot.

Are you sure the liquid, yellow oil from Sam's says hydrogenated? Marilyna

Marilyna, I was wrongwrongwrong. What I saw was 'fully refined soy oil'. I left it on the shelf.

Sam's did have a 'creamy soy oil'. It contains partially and hydrogenized soybean oils with citric acid added to extend shelf life. Peanut oil had anti-foaming agents added. The 100% soy oil was the only bulk oil that didn't have any listed additives.

Back to the shopping cart.

Bummer.