Question re:Kelsei molds

TexasBrat

I use the Dans bands on my kelsei's

I went back to those too.

I use 32 oz of oils for the 9 bar and 64 oz oils for the 18 bar, sometimes with full water and sometimes with a water discount. My finished bars are right at 1 1/4 " thick and weigh close to 5 ozs.

With this amount, you can use the boxes, but they will bulge out because of the thickness of the bars. That is why I went back to Dan's Bands, I don't like the smaller (less thick) bars that will fit in the boxes.

I can't use the Dans Bands when I use a 3 lb recipe - the soaps are just a bit too big and I can't get the bands over the soap bar. I can use them and do for a 2 or 2 1/2 pound recipe. Julia, are you saying you can use them with a 3lb recipe (let me clarify that this is 3lbs of oils and the 16 oz water) in the 9 bar mold? I've looked at the boxes on KB and the dimensions and my bars always seemed liked they wouldn't fit. I knew that my bars from my large log mold wouldn't fit but the Dans Bands fit those bars. Once I got the Kelsies mold some months back, I tried them with my 3 lb recipe but it didn't work.

I can't use the Dans Bands when I use a 3 lb recipe - the soaps are just a bit too big and I can't get the bands over the soap bar. I can use them and do for a 2 or 2 1/2 pound recipe. Julia, are you saying you can use them with a 3lb recipe (let me clarify that this is 3lbs of oils and the 16 oz water) in the 9 bar mold? I've looked at the boxes on KB and the dimensions and my bars always seemed liked they wouldn't fit. I knew that my bars from my large log mold wouldn't fit but the Dans Bands fit those bars. Once I got the Kelsies mold some months back, I tried them with my 3 lb recipe but it didn't work.

I "think" the one "big" batch I made I used over 40 ounces of oils + water so I would say yes.

I measured my bars that were made with 3lbs of oils plus water and they are 2 inches thick. This would make them too big for those boxes as I was thinking.

Edited to add that I always forget to mention the water with the weight of the oils. I know what I am thinking and just without realizing it, assume that everyone else does too and knows I am referring to just the weight of the oils. I'm bad!!

I'm learning so much from yall. :yay:

I ordered mine today, I have no idea how long it will take to get it. If they have them in stock they ship in a couple days. If they aren't then it could be a few weeks. No one answered their phone all day so when they check their caller id they will see I called like 25 times. :P

I am excited for your TexasBrat!!! :yay:I think you will like this mold, I have so many different types and this one is my favorite. It took me awhile to find the one I liked best, but it was worth the search. I like my Uplands too. ;) Now I just need to try out my new Uplands round log mold.

I have put off buying a mold b/c of the cost but now that I think I am close to selling soaps I want them to be uniform in size and shape and there is just no way around it unless you get a mold. I am not good at cutting them so this will hopefully help. I like the Uplands too, maybe someday. *sigh* lol

I have put off buying a mold b/c of the cost but now that I think I am close to selling soaps I want them to be uniform in size and shape and there is just no way around it unless you get a mold. I am not good at cutting them so this will hopefully help. I like the Uplands too, maybe someday. *sigh* lol

That's why I got my Kelsie - no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get bars cut the same size. I wanted all the same size and shape but had to play around with the size of my recipe until I was able to figure out what made the size bars I wanted.

Carrie - please let us know what you think of your new mold. I've read that lots of peeps are getting that mold. I don't need another mold and am very happy with my Kelsie but am curious as to what you think. It seems to be a very popular one.

The bar size is just slightly bigger than the kelsei. I did cut a few soaps in the mold before I used it to make soap. I had a couple of slabs made in another mold that fit down inside. I wish the slots on the sides were narrower because when you fit the knife down in the slots there is room for some play and the bars don't come out cut straight, at least for me. I'm still working on it. I do like the divider bar. I made a 5lb batch and put half in lavender/tangerine and half in litsea/lemongrass.

LOL...Lavender tangerine isn't a usual combo I do, it was a mistake, kinda. I hope it'll turn out to be a good mistake.

TangerineLavender is actually a wonderful combo. I just LOVE SNC's TL. I've bought MC's and GL's Orange Lavender. I didn't care for MC's - it was more orangey than I was looking for but I did like GL's. SNC's is still my fav hands down.

Edited because it is actually Tangerine Lavender and not Lavender Tangerine. Ooops!!!

I made lavender eo soap but didn't add enough lavender color and it turned gray. I thought that if I added some red it would bring out the lavender color. I was wrong, it turned red. So I hurried to my eo shelf and found something that would go with lavender but that wouldn't be too bad with a red color. I added about 1/2 ounce of Tangerine. I didn't weigh it because the soap was tracing fast, I was soaping way too hot. I put a lid over part of the mold, just to keep the towels off of the soap and put it to bed. This morning I unmolded it and the portion that had the lid on it is lavender colored and the rest is kinda reddish/gray. Oh well, we live and learn.