Lining Tutorial questions

heather_dw

I was searching for the lining tutorial and I found it.

I remember when this was first posted, both hubby and I tried it and got so frustrated. I'm willing to try it again because lining soap molds is such a pain and it takes forever. I need to make a bunch of soap, so I need to do something here.

For reference, here is the soap lining tutorial link:

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=bathandbody;action=display;num=1088130010;start=0

Can someone who understands this give me a hand?

For example.. on the first step "cut your paper".. how long/wide does the paper need to be?

second step.. fold shiny side up? Fold where? (so confused)

Step 3:

This is where I get lost.. I mean.. the second step has got one side folded and then all the sudden its inside the mold? ??

I hate being a pain but I guess I need remedial soap mold lining :-P

Does your mold have a lid?

I use my lid to mark the fold lines. If you don't have a lid you have to measure the length and width of your mold to determine where to fold.

For me, I take a piece of freezer paper about 2 feet long and lay it on the table shiny side down. I place the lid to my mold on the paper and trace around it. Then I take a yard stick and align it with each line from the lid and extend the lines to the edges of the paper.

Then I cut out the corner sections, turn the paper over so the shiny side is up and fold at the lines toward the center. Place the paper in the mold and it should fit perfectly. Either tape the edges of the paper to your mold or use a large rubber band.

Hope that made sense.

Put the freezer paper across the table, shiny side up. Lay the mold on the table horizontally. Cut the paper about 10" wider on either side.

Take the freezer paper and pull upward and crease on one side of the mold.

Remove the mold and crease the paper all the way.

Take the folded paper and hold over the top of the mold with the creased end lining up with that side of the mold opening. Lift the paper on the other

side and crease at the inner mold edge. Remove the paper and crease all the

way.

You now have paper folded on both sides, the same width as the interior of

the mold. Place this over the mold and lower into the mold. Use your fingers to crease the edges at the bottom. Pull the paper out and fold along the creases. The paper should now fit perfectly inside the mold, with the sides of the paper sticking straight up.

Ok I finally lined a mold yeah:yay: but it's so hard it is to find freezer paper around here. Is it possible to use Parchment paper? Has anyone tried this? I tried the plastic bag thing but it leaves too many wrinkles in the soap.

hey want to hear my short cut? I had my dad make me a block of wood that fits perfectly inside my mold. Then I just wrap that sucker like a present except leaving the top open. If that makes sense. But I do the sides just like I would wrapping a box, tape here and tape there. Slide it off the wooden block and put inside the mold. The just cut the remaining freezer paper that is sticking up, put 4 little slits in the corners and just tape down like on the tutorial. My dad made me a block for both of my molds and I"m thrilled. Its still a pain but not nearly as bad as it was before!!!

You never know till you try it out.

Why would parchment stick and the shiny side of butcher paper not stick?

I'm gonna have to try this out.

I've never tried butcher paper, only freezer paper. Ashlie, you can get it in the supermarket, right by the aluminum foil.

I line mine with butcher paper or should I say DH does. He learned from Eugenia's tutorial. After making 2 batches of soap, he hung his apron and SB up. So now, he's just my official mold liner. I think I will have him make me mylar linings since they seem so cheap and convenient to use.

hey want to hear my short cut? I had my dad make me a block of wood that fits perfectly inside my mold. Then I just wrap that sucker like a present except leaving the top open. If that makes sense. But I do the sides just like I would wrapping a box, tape here and tape there. Slide it off the wooden block and put inside the mold. The just cut the remaining freezer paper that is sticking up, put 4 little slits in the corners and just tape down like on the tutorial. My dad made me a block for both of my molds and I"m thrilled. Its still a pain but not nearly as bad as it was before!!!

You can also do that similarly with just cutting a piece of mylar to fit inside your mold and folding the freezer paper around it. You just have to unfold and tape up the sides, and lift the mylar out of the mold. I like that block of wood idea too, that is very creative.