shopping cart

Sherl

Can someone give me an idea of how user friendly OScommerce is? I went to their site and did the downloads.. got a bunch of files. Somehow I thought would get a template to use. The documentation [i just skimmed it] says uploading all these files to use... is there a way to set up your site without having a place to upload it? I'd like to have it all layed out before I actually invest in the server. I do have computer experience so not a complete novice, but this is my first web. Any sites on the web recommended for help, I'm using FrontPage. Thanks..

osCommerce is only friendly if you want their standard layout. They do have a template system, but it's an add on. You might want to try Zen Cart instead - it was created from osC but is more template driven.

both these are way more than templates, they're full fledged shopping carts with administration pages and all sorts of features. They only work somewhere that has a web server w/ the php modules activated and mySQL server running. If you've got all that on your PC, then you can work on it locally. That's what I do on my Powerbook because a web server is standard. Not sure what kind of web server Windows has installed - you might have to go activate it somewhere or download something.. Then you can put everything in local folders and work with it.

Zen Cart is newer - it's a branch off of osCommerce. I think it's been simplified a lot - better administration. osCommerce is more heavy duty, older, but it has a lot more add on modules that people have donated over the years. Basically they do the same thing though.

I use osCommerce - but I'm a programmer so php coding isn't a problem to me. I've heavily modified mine, enough that I won't be upgrading to any new version. If I wasn't of a programming bent I might choose Zen.

Where I made the most mods is in shipping and payment, so I'd check out the documentation to see how the cart matches up to what you do. osC might have more European support modules in it than Zen, not sure.

I'm a programmer too, but I've never see a line of PHP code in my life.

I found the italian site for zen cart, there is a nice community and some modification for shipping modules, credit cards.

Looking at osC site made me think (as you said) there are a lot more of contribution than for zen cart, maybe that's because osC it's been around for a while.

I will try zen cart instead of osC and *fingers crossed*

Thanks

Zen Cart is newer - it's a branch off of osCommerce. I think it's been simplified a lot - better administration. osCommerce is more heavy duty, older, but it has a lot more add on modules that people have donated over the years. Basically they do the same thing though.

I use osCommerce - but I'm a programmer so php coding isn't a problem to me. I've heavily modified mine, enough that I won't be upgrading to any new version. If I wasn't of a programming bent I might choose Zen.

Where I made the most mods is in shipping and payment, so I'd check out the documentation to see how the cart matches up to what you do. osC might have more European support modules in it than Zen, not sure.

I'm currrently working on my site, paid a webdesigner to DESIGN it and get it set up in general. I've been adding pics, desc and items for weeks now and I'm using ZEN CART. I LOVE it and knew NOTHING about it before she did this for me. Honestly I don't know if I could have ever went to the site and downloaded it and get it set up myeslf. Not so sure about that! I don't know crap about HTML or any of that and I'm still finding it all fairly easy. You don't need to know any. I'm ALMOST done but its been a LONG few weeks adding all my stuff to it. My web lady as been worth every penny!!!

How difficult is it to set your site up with a simpler cart and in time go with one that has more features? I like the some of the added features of OScommerece but when I went to sample sites... they all looked the same. I really don't want to have to fight to get my site to look the way I want it. So, if I try zen cart, can I change to the OScommerece as I get more experience with this stuff??

oscommerce, is basically a big 'ol bi**ch!! IF you want it to look just the standard way it comes, then you'll be ok, but as soon as you start wanting to center your logo, change the layout, modify the way the cart works - unless you are a PHP coder, you may as well forget it unless you have months and months of spare time and can trawl through the help forums.

I was using oscommerce, and I bought and paid for a template - then the template caused me problems because it didn't fit right...so I wanted to install "contributions" to help with my cart, but you can't install contributions easily on an oscommerce site that has a BTS template - unless you want to pay $300 for someone else to install it.

I have hit a major, fundamental block on my website now, so I think, after $500 spent on mods, templates and help from consultants, I've got to scrap it for a while and revert back to my old site while I spend every spare minute I can trying to mould oscommerce to my requirements.

I think if you went with Zen, you'd never really have the need to move to osC.

Another simpler way to go is with Mal's free cart. Basically it's like using the paypal cart - you design your own web pages, but the "buy button" uses code to go to the cart hosted on Mal's site. Also, that way you don't have to get your own security certificate - all the credit card stuff, if you want to do cc, is on Mal's. Check out http://mals-e.com/