smelly soap

friendlyMOM

Did you curdle the gm when you added it to the lye? If that happens, gm soap can smell pretty bad but that smell should cure out and let the scent come through.

I thought you said the hazelnut one stunk too? Did that smell cure out and get better? That can happen just didn't realize it would happen that fast. But if it did, that's good for you. :) With gm soaps, it usually takes awhile for that stinky smell to cure out.

The GM one did not curtle, and I let my friend smell it today and she said it hardly has a smell at all and to her it did not smell bad just smelt like all natural soap to her, and the hazelnut one the smell has gone completely. But I was just wondering if there was a way to add FO after your batch was done, but I read that you can soak something in FO and then wrap your soap in it for a week and that should work fine. And sry bout filling up the forum with so much I'll back off, I would have condensed all my thoughts and questions had they come at the same time, as I ran into a problem or question then I asked for answers but I will cut back on asking, thanks to all who helped I'm done for a while

Milk soaps at first can smell kind of ammonia-y - that's normal and does diminish in time. Putting scent near a soap can let it pick up a little bit of extra fragrance, but it doesn't really last all that long. I've soaked a cotton ball and put it in the storage box along with it's matching scent, gives a little "refresh" to older bars, but not much.

Getting the scent level right is one of the things you have to test for - sometimes it takes a few batches to get it right. Too strong, back down on the next batch. Too weak, add a bit more. Plus, fragrances can "come back" during a cure. They can also fade after a few months. Again, that's where the testing comes in - how does your soap fare in the future...

You're not having much luck, are you?

I don't think you can really add scent after but I think some of my soaps smell more intense if they're stored together. Maybe put some FO on a cottonball and store it with the soaps?

I did read somewhere that somebody soaks a muslin cloth in FO and then wraps the soap in it then in plastic and lets it sit for week or so till it soaks it up, I will try that and give my results in a few weeks, but my friend also said that some people do not like perfumed soap they like the natural scent.

Cotton ball, soaking muslin, etc. only scents basically the outside of the soap and like Robin said it doesn't last. It definately doesn't soak into the whole bar of soap!! I don't want to fool people into thinking the whole bar smells that good when, in fact, once they use the outer layer, the bar is basically unscented. I sell my 'faded scent' soaps as some of my 'ugly' soaps for $.50 cheaper than my 'good' bars.....people think they are getting a great deal and I'm still making money!! :cool2: