new to candle making

Hi all, I've been reading post on here for a few weeks now trying to learn more about canlde making.......I started with a paraffin wax that came with a starter kit and all the candles turned out really good.....i decided to try the EZ Soy wax that is a one pour last night but not sure how them candles turned out yet......but i was just wondering what temp do you put the fragrance oil and dye in at????? this wax didn't come with any instructions like the parrafin did and it just said on the package to pour at 155....i have one of those presto melters with the spigot and decided to let the temp get to 170 before i poured it in the pouring pot so that it would give me time to get the dye and fragance in before reaching 155, so i'm hoping they turn out ok...and also how long do i need to wait to burn the soy candles? i've heard 48 hrs and a week....but im going nuts cuz i just want to burn them now! i made a bunch of differnet kinds, peanut butter cookies, chocolat chip cookies, lilac, blueberry cheesecake.......and i forget what else! but i made over 30 candles last night! i was busy!!!! hehe but any advice would be great!

thanks

I just did some candles today using EZ Soy, a very wonderful lady one here gave me some tips on how to make them since soy is difficult to deal with

I heated wax to 195 F

Added Dye right away

Added Fo at 175 F

Poured at 104 F

Mine are still curing so far so good though.

I will test burn one in 48 hours if I have no hot throw then ill wait for 5 days and test burn again. you never know how long a candle needs to cure till you test it. I always put my candles in a pantry so they are out of my site it helps with the temptation of wanting to burn them ;)

I also use soy and I have found the best hot (and cold throw) to be poured at 100-110. Some may say what? But the retention is wonderful when poured cooler. After cooled, I immediately seal them up (whether w/ a lid or in cello packaging), and I too, store them in my pantry for 2 days before testing. I've had great results...until I started getting cracks around my wicks the past couple of times! lol! But it's from a bad batch of wax. Good luck! I hope you have fun!

......but i was just wondering what temp do you put the fragrance oil and dye in at????? this wax didn't come with any instructions like the parrafin did and it just said on the package to pour at 155....i have one of those presto melters with the spigot and decided to let the temp get to 170 before i poured it in the pouring pot so that it would give me time to get the dye and fragance in before reaching 155,...
BCN's EZ tips... :wink2:candlesupply.com/EZsoy.html

Welcome to CT! :cool2:

Did you use the EZ Soy Flakes? I'm using the CCS1275-EZ Soy Pour, it came in an 11 lb slab.
EZ Soy is tm'd by BC, comes in flake form. Although both of the waxes have the same mp's, they have different pour temps. I use a different soy. Of course I could be totally wrong here, but it doesn't seem like an all veg wax you have there (slab, high pour temp). At the very least, it's different from BC's EZ Soy. I looked for a MSDS on CCS's site, but couldn't find one. There is a Helpful Resources button on the left side of their site. Has some instructions, kinda general.

I don't know what you're looking for in a wax, but if it was me, I'd contact them for instructions and specs so you know what you're dealing with. Just my opinion. HTH some.

hey ya'll just wanted to say my candles turned out excellent! well at least the blueberry cheesecake did....i live in a 2 story house and i can smell it upstairs! it makes my mouth water smelling it!!! heheh:drool: i think i do need to use different wicks though the top of them kind of turn into a little black ball and smoke really bad when you blow it out.....im using a zinc core wick....any ideas on what kind of wick i should use????