Help with scent throw from pure soy wax

We have been experimenting for a while using Ecosoya CB-Pure in 4oz tins. Heating to 175*, adding soy based chip color until well mixed and then adding 6% (1 oz pp) FO at about 170*. We do not keep the wax on the heat while adding the FO and the temp drops to about 155-160 after mixing well. Wicks are an ECO 8. I've gotten to the point that I can get some very nice looking candles with very smooth frost free tops, but the hot and cold scent are not great. Placing candle in a small 6X8 room to check hot throw after 2-4 days and can barely detect the scent. We have tried about 8 FO from JS, Peaks and WSP that are reported (on this forum) to be some great throwers in soy, so I don't believe it is a weak FO.

Should we try adding FO at another temp?

Adding BW, universal additive, or other?

Mixing the wax with another product for a blend?

Any other suggestions before we abandon this wax?

Hi,

I use Ecosoya pure and have great throw (hot&cold). I add Fo at @150 and pour at @ 140-135. Have you tried different wicks? I use HTP's with good results. You might try adding your FO at lower temp, if that doesn't work try different wicks! That is what I would do. Hope this helps, I really love the throw from the ecosoya pure. I tried the advanced and it wasn't as good(IMO). I haven't tried the 135 but I am satisfied with the pure!!! Also I use 8-9% FO load on most scents, but I really don't know why 6% wouldn't give SOME throw. I just like really strong candles!!!

After you mentioned about adding FO @140-150, I went and checked out two tins I first made where I added FO at 145*. They have much better cold throw than the current batch with FO added at 170-175*, so you may be on to something there with this wax.

Anyone with experience unsing additives in this soy product?

I have continued to test adding FO at different temperatures (170*, 145* and 120*) using a FO and FO/EO combination.

I have made the following observations:

The candles made adding FO at 170* do not have as strong a throw as the candles with FO added at 145* and 120* after 48 hours.

The 145* FO candle and the 120* FO candle have about the same hot and cold throw after 48 hours.

The 170* FO candle has equal or better hot and cold throw than the 120* of 145* FO candle after curing for a week.

Adding a EO/FO blend at 170* tends to lose the EO scent, even after a week of curing. The EO/FO added at 145* or 120* had a stronger scent even after a week of curing.

I don't do straight soy, but have read where soy "needs" more fo for throw. I think maybe you might try 1.5 ounces of fo?

I agree with giedre11. Unless it is a very strong FO, straight soy really does best IMO with about 7-9% FO load.