price comparison between suppliers

I was on the site for Oils by Nature and MMS tonight looking at some prices and oils. Some prices were comparable (ie sweet almond oil) some were quite a bit different (avacado oil) and some were just out of the ballpark (fractionated coconut oil). I was specifically looking at pricing for the FCO. At OBN it is 18.20 for 7 lbs (less than 1/2 lb short of a gallon) and at MMS it is $33.00 for a gallon. Wow, what a difference!!:shocked2: Even with shipping (UPS ground for $10.62) it costs way less than MMS.

Is there a difference in the quality of the products? Or is it really a good deal? I've never ordered from either place before. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!!

i have pricing cocoa butter and Shea butter there seems to be from 4 dollars all the way to twelve dollars.i am still looking to see witch i can get the cheapest like 5 lbs at.ware i get most my oils from is 7 dollars i think that is to high.

Seems typical. Meadowfoam is the same way. So is Cranberry Seed Oil. It also makes it difficult to compare because some are measured by weight and some are by volume (so you have to guess how much a gallon weighs).

There have been a couple of price comparison websites but most of them haven't been updated in months or are totally down.

OBN has good quality stuff and good deals. MMS has good quality stuff but sometimes their prices are outrageous, and sometimes their prices are the lowest around.

Thanks for the responses everyone! You know the saying "you get what you pay for" - I was hoping the quality of the products were the same at all the places, but you never know. I'll get the FCO from OBN since they are the cheapest even with shipping and continue to shop around for the other supplies. Thanks again for your help. You guys are great as always.

Check your shipping charges as they greatly differ. If MMS qoutes are correct, their shipping is really reasonable. I never purchased from OBN (just through co-ops) so I can't vouch for how their shipping charges are.I was happy with the products that I do have from them.

I live in PA.

If the websites calculators are correct, it is cheaper for me to buy the same amount (weight) from MMS (Utah) as WSP (Ohio).

Now if we can only get a supplier closer to SW PA?

I just hate companies that bill you later for shipping! :sad2: messes up my research lol.
For such places, if their prices look good, I will make a list of what I want and email it to them, to ask for a shipping quote. I usually get a pretty quick response.

LOL - funny I should just read this post as I was going to post something similar. I've been trying to price 1lb of Lavender 40/42 EO and checked out WSP - over $63/lb, Camden-Grey $25/lb and MMS $30/lb - wow what a difference!

Hmmm, I did a seach and the Louisville KY site it was featured on showed an IN address. In anycase, they charge $9 (and change) to ship... I'd probably spend more in gas money just to get there!

BUT... I'll have to contact them anyway to see if they allow for pick-ups, just in case I'm ever in the area.

Thanks again!

Guppygirl - they must have moved. I think they *used* to be in Kentucky. They charge $9 to ship the first bottle and each additional bottle is something like $0.90. The shipping is on the high side in my opinion but their EOs are high quality and pricing is quite reasonable compared with their competitors.

i think that sometimes the price ranges can do with the bulk amount the supplier purchases..if they purchase a larger amount, they can charge less than a supplier that purchases a lesser amount. comparison shopping always seems to pay off, unless you find that you can get more supplies from one supplier and pay more for one or two oils, and shipping balances out. rather than pay less for a couple oils from one supplier and end up paying more for shipping them which can up the overall cost to you.

So I checked out the shipping for like 4 different places and OBN still came out the lowest.

Just for kicks I tried the shipping to my house (where I usually have stuff shipped to) and then to have it shipped 5 miles down the road to my office and it's almost $2 cheaper to have it sent there!! So I guess I'm having my stuff shipped there from now on.

It's amazing all the factors you have to check out to get the best prices.

It's probaby better to have it sent to your office anyway, as long as you don't mind hauling the boxes home. UPS usually brings boxes into office buildings. Better than having them dumped on your porch with oils melting in the heat.