I am still testing wax and I was wondering if anyone using the IGI 6006A was having a problem with it getting air bubbles in the finished candle? Sometimes when I burn my candle I see air bubles floating to the top. I have been testing the Greenleaf wax and the Millennium wax, and the IGI is the only one I am having this problem with.

I am melting the wax to 160 and pouring at 160 to 165. I haven't found the perfect spot on my stove dial yet, and I am trying not to over heat the wax.

Thank you for any help, Connie

• 3 years later...

Hope this helps! :)

Soy & Paraffin Blend Container Candle Wax

(IGI 6006A)

Features:

Good single pour properties under optimal conditions for containers up to 28 oz jars

Good adhesion to jars under optimal conditions, low shrink.

Fragrance oil retention of up to 10% by weight is possible.

Smooth and creamy look.

Pre-blended, no additives required.

Pouring temperature should be from 160 – 180 F.

Congealing point 130F.

Optimal pour temperature is best determined by experimentation.

Handling and Melting of Container Wax:

Melting of Wax

The wax should be heated to a temperature of 175 – 185 degrees F to melt the wax up. Do not heat the wax above 200o F. If Wax is held at higher temperatures for long periods of time it will discolor. Always use a thermometer when melting the wax and never leave your heated wax unattended. While the wax is melting stir the wax regularly to reduce localized heating of the oil. This will help to reduce burning of the wax while heating.

Adding of other Ingredients

Other additives or ingredients may be added at any time to help improve the performance of the wax.

Adding Candle Scent and Dye

The Fragrances and Dyes can be added to the wax after the wax is completely liquid. Make sure the dye is mixed and fully dissolved into the wax. Fragrance should be added to wax just before pouring into molds. This reduces the chance of the fragrant oil losing its potency.

Pouring Candles

Make sure that the mold is at room temperature or slightly warmer before pouring the wax into the mold. The wax should be poured in the mold while the wax is 160 to 180 degrees F.

Container Choice:

Container Choice is probably one of the most critical things to choose correctly for any container candle to get good results. The container shape affects the cooling rate of the wax. For optimal results, the cooling rate should be as uniform as possible.

Containers with uniform wall thickness are easier to pre-warm and maintain a uniform cooling rate.

Containers with smooth rounded corners are best.

For optimal single pour characteristics, containers with a diameter equal to or larger than the height are required. Containers with a diameter smaller than the height may require a second pour to top them up.

I actually whipped the stuff with a hand mixer and didn't get bubbles. I guess you use the stove to heat your water for the double boiler method? I think most everybody uses direct heat with the exception of water jacketed melters or double boiler method. Presto pots have the heating element in the bottom of the pan and turkey fryers have the element exposed in the wax. It does sound like you have some wax that may have air incorporated from the manufacturing process. Take a wooden spoon and tap on the side or take a heat gun and pop those little boogers; otherwise gently stir with a non-slotted spoon. HTH

Steve

I don't think I've seen evidence that you can dissolve enough air in wax to create bubbles in the finished product. I've whisked wax and still had it set up fine.

What I had in mind about direct heat is the possibility of adding FO directly into the heating vessel while there's still a hot spot. Another slight possibility is overheating the candle containers before pouring.

In some types of wax, it's possible for moisture to create bubbles in the final product.

Just some brainstorming.