Craft Shows with Candles- Heat!!!

How many of you do NOT do craft shows in the summer due to candles/bath and body stuff melting? I have an easy up tint and can do 3 walls but to me, it still gets hot enough to make the candles look like crap. Anyone else kinda take off from doing these things in the summer??

Christina

Hey Christina , in response to your question, we still do our regular show each month, however we just dont put out as much stock. I am fortunate that my cargo trailer is air conditioned and we leave much stock inside, just makes restockinng more often but hey that way I dont lose any of my stock!!

You know here in Texas how hot it gets..thank goodness for A/C.:yay:

I do farmer's market every Saturday in the summer (unless it's pouring buckets -- for some reason, my soaps just don't like WATER until they're sold ~LOL~). We just set up early in the morning, and leave late in the morning or very early in the afternoon. I pop those babies back into my A/C minivan just as soon as I'm able. They hold up well in the heat.

An AIR CONDITIONED TRAILER in which to put your stock? This is my dream. I didn't know this animal existed!! :drool: Lucky ducky! hahaha

Thats my main deal is outside markets all summer long. The jar candles hold up well. (thats all we make). Customers do always ask if they will melt. I tell them that we will melt before the candles... but on some days its damn close. ;) Bruce

I only did one summer show last year and it wasn't bad. But so far this year I have done two outdoor ones, one this past weekend and one the weekend before and at both I lost a few packs of tarts and that was because the sun hit them and melted them. As long as my tarts & candles stay in the shade its not bad, but when the sun hits them they will melt! I have two outdoor shows in June & one in July so we will see how bad it gets!

It gets really hot out here. Around 100 degrees not including the heat index. Usually it is okay. I do 2 outdoor shows a month. The heat WILL affect them. I have an Ez up tent as well. I usually leave the wall off though for more ventalation. I DO NOT let the sunlight hit the candles though. I also have a small fan that I use that helps tremendously. A good tip though: Keep your outdoor stock seperate from indoor show stock. That way you aren't mixing outdoor kinda crappy looking stuff with your nice perfect indoor stuff. Thats what I do. HTH

We came across this white Cargo trailer 8' x 20' with an A/C, and got it for a bargain, just couldn't pass it up! I had a 6 x 14 and it was black no a/c and man it would get soooo hot in there...now I dont have to worry about losing my stock!!:rolleyes2

Congrats on that great purchase, Michele!

I don't do summer shows and only do one spring show in mid-April because in Alabama it gets hot as blazes!! I had about 50 candles melt in an OCTOBER show last year, so I sure don't take chances in summer. We really have very few shows in this area and absolutely no indoor ones in the summer--if I could find some of those, I'd be signed up in a minute! I do have a nice EZ-Up tent with side walls, and it helps a little to get some shade, but not really enough.

Jane