Testing this weekend!

I just received my test assortment from Peaks. I ordered HTP,LX,Zinc Core and Cotton Core sample packs. I am going to walmart this morning and get the square glass containers. They are the middle size red ones pictured in the containers Basic Instructions Link. They measure three inches on the top and I am using CB30 a paraffin/soy mix. They question I have is what wick size would use suggests I start with. I always seem to go to low and it doesn't burn and waste the whole container of wax.

I am also going to attempt votive in Dixie cups using CB5!

Heres to my crazy weekend of testing!:P:yay:

You all have been so much help!

Thank You

Suzanne H

One of the many things I've learned from the experts on this board is a great method for testing wicks in containers-- pour the candle w/o a wick, let it cool and set up. Then take a skewer, wick pin or other simiilar object, and poke a hole in the center of the candle, then you can just pull a wick out of the sustainer base, and shove it in the hole to test! You can heat gun the top to seal the hole if you want, but I usually just leave it. That way, if your first wick is not working, you can blow it out, let it cool a bit and yank it out with pliers, then put another one in.

Let me tell you, these people are genuises!:yay: This has been a life saver! If not for this technique, I would have wasted A TON of wax!

HTH,

I would startwith htp104...cb30 is kinda hard to wick, I'm a newbie but have used those same conainers,wax and wicks and the 104 seems to work the best...the un-anchored wick thing is the best idea!! does save tons of wax.

I have found only one place to buy cb30..where do you get yours?

HTH!

Melissa:p

Thank you so much, Since I have already have the wicks tabbed I will just cut the tab off? This is a really great idea! I can't wait to start.

Stick the wick in upside down and cut it off so that you still have the rest of the wick attached to the tab. If you get wicks that are long enough, you may still be able to use the wick in a jar, since you didn't cut the tab off. Hope that makes sense :)

That makes perfect sense. I just tried it and it worked perfect. Once you have the wick-container-wax figured out do you really need to re-test with every scent??

Suzanne H

Yes, you do. We have had one container work fantastic with a wick and FO, just to make six more containers with different FO that don't work. :sad2: Frustrating, yes....but we are getting closer and closer...LOL

That makes perfect sense. I just tried it and it worked perfect. Once you have the wick-container-wax figured out do you really need to re-test with every scent??

Suzanne H

Yes, because the FO will dramatically affect your burn. Not all Fos are the same and you cannot use the same wax/wick combination for every FO. It just won't work. But once you find a "base" wick that works in your container, you can test to see whether that wick works or whether you need to wick up or down or change wicks completely. So basically, it's not a wick/container/wax combo that you need to figure out. It's a wick/container/wax/fragrance oil combination. HTH :)

I get my Cb30 from Swans and love the wax. I am test burning my candles I made today. I did Pink Sugar in the Triangle jars and Blueberry muffin in the Square 3 inch. So far the LX 30 worked the best in the triangle but I had a huge mushroom! Still haven't found a good wick for the square ones I have tried HTP 104, C-85, C-70. Just can't seem to get a good melt pool. I currently have the LX 30 burning in the Square since it seemed to do good in the triangle. How long should it normal take until you can really smell the candle?

Suzanne H