ethical dilema

I need advice from anyone who'd like to chime in here....I ordered candle warmers from a popular supplier. I thought it might attract a few new customers that are nervous about flames. Anyway, the candle warmers came today and I opened them, tried one, it seemed to work fine, then when I really took a good look at I saw on the underside that it says it's a 'beverage warmer'. I thought that was very uncool of this supplier to market this thing as a candle warmer and then send me a beverage warmer. 6 beverage warmers to be exact. I guess that's why I got a good price.

1 - Is a beverage warmer safe? Does anyone know the difference in temp between the two? Would it get too hot?

2 - Is it ethical for me to re-sell these as candle warmers at this point? Or should I return them to the supplier?

Any advice is welcome here.:)

I believe these are the same things at cup warmers that were marketed huge a few years back. Use at your office to keep your cup warm...so basically, they're the same thing in my eyes. Just because it doesn't say candle warmer on it, doesn't mean it works any differently, correct?

I'd sell them.

What's the wattage on these? My favorite "candle warmer" is a Rival mug warmer, but I haven't been able to find those since Xmas. They are 23-24 watts and work so much better imo than the Cozy Up's at 17 watts. They're just too slow for my taste. If it were me, I would try out one of each candle I make on them and, if the container didn't get too hot, smoke, or in some other way act weird, I'd sell them.

Hi Hillary,

Every candle warmer I've seen is really a cup warmer. I think the originators weren't selling them to much anymore, and somebody got smart, started using them for their jar candles and WHALLA!!! a new item was marketed. I've never used one personally, so I couldn't tell you if candle vs. cup warmers are supposed to be hotter than the other.

It says 24 watts on the underside. I've never used a mug warmer or a candle warmer for that matter, so this is why I need the input.

Also, like I said, it clearly states "beverage warmer" on the underside and I just wonder if customers will take issue with that.

It sounds like you might have an issue with them, so I think that some customers would too. I can say that it would bother me.

I don't know if the higher wattage could be a problem, but there is something to consider. The manufacturer sells the beverage warmer for the intended purpose of warming beverages. Let's say you sell one to a customer, and you tell her she can use it to warm candles. The customer melts a candle on it and the jar cracks, resulting in burning or damage. I'm wondering if you could be liable for causing the accident because you told her the beverage warmer would be safe to use for candles.

I have a Cozy-Up Warmer. It's only 17 watts and the package is clearly labeled as a candle warmer for jar candles. The package also states that it's for jar candles only, because there are people out there who are foolish enough to sit a pillar or votive on it. It's properly labeled and marketed for its intended purpose.

I feel the supplier was wrong to sell beverage warmers as candle warmers.

I feel the supplier was wrong to sell beverage warmers as candle warmers.

I agree, I would not sell them. I would probably sell them on ebay as beverage warmers--Just to get rideof them. I would not want to pay the postage to send them back. Unless, when I call the company and tell them off, the agree to pay the postage!

Thank you all for your input. I should know as a consumer myself, I wasn't happy with what they sent me, why should I think it's okay to pass that off onto my own customers! Doesn't seem right at all when I think of it that way. As for the postage- the suppliers website says if they are at fault they'll pay postage. They very obviously sent me 'beverage warmers' not candle warmers as it is clearly stated on the product I recieved. So I should be good on that one. In the meantime I came across candle warmers that are labled as candle warmers right on the product. So I have that covered now too.

Thanks for feedback!;)

Send them back and complain to them about false advertising, since they clearly stated on the product that they were beverage warmers. I understand that using them as candlewarmers can in fact, be dangerous, since they were manufactured to be used with a mug, which is quite a bit thicker than a lot of glass used for candles.

They should be brought to realize what they are doing is very dangerous, and they are setting themselves up for a lawsuit should a candle explode or fire erupt because they were misrepresenting the product.

I agree with Mona. I have the Cozy-up warmers, also - 17W. Tins get pretty warm on these. How hot would they get on a 24W warmer? Personally, I would return them.

Georgia I have a candle warmer thats 17w that I always have a tin on. I too was wondering how hot it was so I took the temp and it read 165 and stayed there. I think 24w would be WAY too hot !!

edited to add more info