Soybean Oil?

I was looking at the grocery store last night and on the back of the veg. oil it says soybean oil as the ingredient. So veg oil is soybean oil?? I feel so stupid, because I could not find soybean oil anywhere, and this whole time I had it sitting in my cupboard. There needs to be a soaping 101 for dummies for VERY basic instructions:embarasse

Jennie, it's not you, it's the goofy way they've labeled these oils. I thought Vegetable Oil would be a blend of vegetables (soybean, corn, etc). Nope, it's all soybean.

And then there's All-Vegetable Shortening that you'd think would be soybean. Nooo...it turns out to be a blend of soybean and cottonseed oils. Cottonseeds are vegetables???

Come to think of it, soybeans aren't vegetables, either.

I think they're trying to confuse us on purpose! :undecided

Yeah, I once asked DH to pick up some soybean oil at the grocery store for me. He said, "I looked at every bottle but none said soy." Came home empty handed. LOL Forgot to tell him to read the BACK labels, not just the front ones. heh heh :confused:

So if shortening is soy & cottonseed...can it be used as a soy wax additive? Anyone every tried a candle with it?

I know, wrong forum...SORRY

I've been soaping for five years and just NOW found out the Vegetable oil was soybean. Then again, I never really looked, but glad I know now! I would have been ordering in gallons from soaperschoice!

Guest EMercier
Yeah, I once asked DH to pick up some soybean oil at the grocery store for me. He said, "I looked at every bottle but none said soy." Came home empty handed. LOL Forgot to tell him to read the BACK labels, not just the front ones. heh heh :confused:

That's funny because my BF would've done the same exact thing!

Make sure you check every brand and double check the container each time you buy it. The no name brand ones have all changed on me, here they are starting to mix it with canola oil :mad: so it looks like im going to have to pay more for the crisco brand.

Make sure you check every brand and double check the container each time you buy it. The no name brand ones have all changed on me, here they are starting to mix it with canola oil :mad: so it looks like im going to have to pay more for the crisco brand.

I'll second that! ;)