Relief holes in tapers

Same here. I don't make tapers so can't be sure but my understanding is that tapers are made by dipping a wick in wax then repeating the process until the layers build up to the thickness you require. There won't be any air pockets so no need for relief holes. Hope that helps.

I know its fustrating huh? I use a thin piece of metal and just poke the first inch or so. Since I don't use wick pins for these, I thread the wick and then kinda jiggle the wick a little bit back and forth to get it opened and then sometimes I don't need to poke holes at all.

Same here. I don't make tapers so can't be sure but my understanding is that tapers are made by dipping a wick in wax then repeating the process until the layers build up to the thickness you require. There won't be any air pockets so no need for relief holes. Hope that helps.
I think she's referring to making tapers from a mold, not hand dipped ;).

Chris, I think you posted the same thing on TSR or the Dish (or some place) and I posted the opposite. You never have to poke your BW tapers, and I almost always do (or at least I need to refill). I used different BW from reputable places, so always wanted to know your secrets. :) What type of molds do you use and how hot do you pour (if I may ask).

TIA.

When I make my molded tapers I poke relief holes with a skewer from the grill. It is the only thing that I have found that is both long and thin enough to do the job, however I don't poke all the way down just about 1/3 of the way usually does the job.

Chris, I think you posted the same thing on TSR or the Dish (or some place) and I posted the opposite. You never have to poke your BW tapers, and I almost always do (or at least I need to refill). I used different BW from reputable places, so always wanted to know your secrets. :) What type of molds do you use and how hot do you pour (if I may ask).

TIA.

Henry I use the polyuerthane molds from Candlewic now (hated the metal molds) and only just melt the beeswax and pour. I probably could top off the top 1/2", but I cut that off anyway. I've NEVER had a void in any of my tapers and I do 6", 8" and 12". I only buy my wax from two places, Candlewic for my white and Stakich on Ebay for my yellow. HTH :smiley2: