If by any chance (scent throw ?)

Any of you use my same combination or just want to lend your input.... I use EL classic container wax and so far only FO from Candle Cocoon. I finally have succefully wicked 12 candles :) BUT !!! I swear the hot scent throw when burning it waaaaaaaaaaay lacking. I heat wax to 165-170, add color and UV stuff right away and then FO at 155-160. Stir, let sit, stir some more, let sit, and do this until I pour at 145. I only use her signature scents not the ones she has recieved from other suppliers. I wanted a knock your socks off scent throw (even if it was overwhelming) so I have been using anywhere from .8oz/lb to 1oz/lb depending on the FO.

Maybe its the pregnancy thats making my nose not work but my husband cant smell them either and though I have burned probably 100-200 candles in the past 6 months I dont think its that we are immune to the scents. Seriously frutstrated I am!!!! Please help :cry2:

I use EL container and I add my FO at 175-180 and stir slowly and well. Then I let it sit until slushy and pour. I do have to let my candles have some cure time as well. I do wick test at 24-48 hours but I definitely get the best throw after 3-5 days or longer.

HTH

Deb

As Deb says, they may need some cure time and adding FO at 180 could be helpful.

Keep in mind you should be testing FOs individually for compatibility and throw. Not all CC scents work well in soy. Others might require you to put in more than you're using. Test, test, and figure out each one.

Have you had someone else test scent throw for you? I couldn't smell my candles well and sent a few to a neighbor to test. She said they smelled very strong. I have a serious case of candle nose and can only smell certain scents (strongly) now. Even my husband has lost his sense of smell from being around the candles so much.

Ditto Deb & Top's advice. I use same EL wax. One experiment, I used same candle cooking procedures, except the heating temp. (I remove, then add FO immediately).

One was 150F, the other was 180F (temp. range of instructions). I wanted to see if/what differences there were. 150F didn't mix as well as the 180F. 180F seemed to have a better hot/cold throw overall.

Per CC advice most of her scents only need 12 hours of cure time, earthy scents 24-48.

I always let mine cure 3 days no less so I dont think its the curing thats doing it. From what it sounds like maybe its the adding the FO at 155-160. From all your advice it sounds you all add at 175-180 which I dont even get my wax up that high (165-170).

SO maybe I should try.......... taking it to 175-180 and adding color/UV AND FO all right away ???????????????

Please help me.

I would recommend heating to 180-185, add color & UV, mix well, then immediately after add FO (around 175) and mix well. Then let cool to slushy, give it a slow thorough stir, then pour.

Was the advice given by CC re: curing time intended for paraffin or for soy? IMO all soy benefits by a generous cure time.

I do get candle nose quite often. I usually bring my candles to work to check for cold throw. One of my coworkers across our dept is kind enough to put it in area. 99% of the time I can smell that baby all the way over at my desk.

I have definitely found dud FO's over the course of the past few years of testing. Just need to test.:cool2:

Per CC advice most of her scents only need 12 hours of cure time, earthy scents 24-48.

I always let mine cure 3 days no less so I dont think its the curing thats doing it. From what it sounds like maybe its the adding the FO at 155-160. From all your advice it sounds you all add at 175-180 which I dont even get my wax up that high (165-170).

SO maybe I should try.......... taking it to 175-180 and adding color/UV AND FO all right away ???????????????

Please help me.

Go ahead and heat up higher. Just don't go past 180. Personally I add UV and color while it's heating, then add FO at maximum temperature. You can adjust the procedure to suit you.

Adding the FO at a higher temp will eliminate one possible variable, but you'll still find that results vary between oils. You may find you need to adjust amounts or eliminate an oil that doesn't work well in your wax.

Thank you all -- off to try again. Here I thought I was almost done then --- back to the drawing board. At least I have a place to start with each FO on the wicking. I will re-make and test them all heating and adding FO higher - hoping the same wick size works with this change.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS YOUR ALL SOOOOOOOO HELPFUL :yay: