Neck Coolers (collars)

Cissy

I need to add other items besides tarts and burners for a flea market I went to this past weekend. There were so many Mexicans there & they didn't even stop to look at my tarts nor at the lady's next to me who was selling incense. (don't think they even know what they are). I'm thinking they might be interested in neck coolers, particularly the ones who do farm work. A concern of mine is, is there anything toxic in using the water crystals for these or is there something better to use. I also don't think many of them speak or read English very well, so I want to make a sign in English and Spanish (but don't know Spanish myself). If any of you can assist me in translating my sign info into Spanish, please PM me. I know if I go to this flea market again, I will have to have products that interest Mexicans, also, and they don't seem to care much for scents. I will appreciate any imput on this subject, also in your experience, what products do you think they are most interested in purchasing.

Grannyscandles:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! This is perfect and will help so very much. Does anyone have any advice regarding the "toxic" question I asked about? I do not want to take any chances on hurting anyone, simply because my conscience would bother me too much. Anything that touches the skin needs to be toxic free.

There were so many Mexicans there & they didn't even stop to look at my tarts nor at the lady's next to me who was selling incense. (don't think they even know what they are). I'm thinking they might be interested in neck coolers, particularly the ones who do farm work.
Why do you assume Mexicans don't know what they are and only need neck coolers since they only do farm work. Sorry but I find your comment offensive and had to say something.

Why do you assume Mexicans don't know what they are and only need neck coolers since they only do farm work. Sorry but I find your comment offensive and had to say something.

I almost didn't respond to your post because I think for some reason you have a chip on your shoulder and you are rearranging my words to suit yourself or your agenda. It just so happens that a lot of people in my area, all nationalities do not seem to know much about tarts, as I have had to explain to several local people what they are and what they do with them. That is why I assumed that immigrants probably do not know. I did not say that Mexicans only do farm work. Please reread my post. You're implying I said they only do farm work. It just so happens, that many of them do, as do other nationalities, in this area who might want a Neck Cooler. 75% of the shoppers I saw at the flea market this one day happened to be Mexicans. I don't know if they all speak or read English since they looked and walked on by, so I was interested in providing the translation for them, which was one reason for my post. If I was prejudiced, I wouldn't be interested in going back to this flea market at all. I'm not that desparate or greedy to make a dollar. If I did not want to make them feel welcome, I would not be interested in providing a sign translation for them.

I regret that you find your translation of my post offensive, but I will not apologize when I had no intentions to offend anyone. No response is necessary from you and I will not respond again on this subject.

Why do you assume Mexicans don't know what they are and only need neck coolers since they only do farm work.

Now where did that come from? I think you are reading to much into it, and being a bit defensive. She said "I'm thinking they might be interested in neck coolers, particularly the ones who do farm work." She never said that mexicans only do farm work.

To me, it's just marketing sense. It's like stopping by a restaurant and thinking "I bet that dishwasher might be interested in some lotion, since she has her hands in dish water all day long." I don't find that line of thinking offensive at all, and I do wash a lot of dishes at work, and I do use lotion. If I didn't make my own, I'd be glad if someone took the initiative to make a helpful product available to me.

To be perfectly honest, I think no matter what internet translation you use, you are still going to need a real person to translate for you. This is for two reasons; first because the internet translating systems are very litteral and don't understand context differences, and secondly because meanings can can vary greatly between dialects. My mom's work experinced this once when they got in some translated pamphlets for their clinic. To the mexicans it read " bring this to the clinic on this date" However to the puerto ricans it read "drink this in the clinic on this date". Needless to say it caused problems.

Probably your best bet would be to take a course somewhere before summer. Thatway you will have someone that can reliably translate for you and if it's their native language can look at it from the same perspective that your customer would and possibly give you Q&A translations for things you may not have considered.

Awe sheesh. Absolutely nothing offensive about what she said. I think it was great that she was paying attention to her customer base and trying to note on what was/wasn't selling and possible reasons why.

If it's a fact that Mexican's were passing them by, why is it offensive to say so? If many Mexicans are farm workers and do use the neck coolers, why is it offensive for her to say so?

Roll your eyes but although I am not of Mexican descent, I am hispanic and I know that it is a common assumption to say, "Those Mexicans," when a lot of times they are not even Mexican. If you changed your sentence and took out Mexicans and put Blacks, you would see how that statement is offensive to some of us. I am not saying you were deliberate in saying it or were trying to be offensive....I am just giving you perspective from a hispanic woman.

And now we will stop using the term "white" as well. It could be deemed offensive to those of European or Scandanavian decent....or those who simply don't want to be bunched in with us honky's.

Couldn't others find it offensive that you, of Hispanic decent, don't want yourself to be thought of as Mexican? It's ok to be generally offensive, just not too specific?

I'm sorry, I'm not making light of the issue, and neither Cissy (I'm sure) nor myself means any disrespect. This is just one of those things about political correctness that irks me. Mexican's, Spanish, Latino's, Hispanics.....Negros, Colored, Black, African-American. It seems that we are constantly changing terms so as not to offend someone. Then we have to change again because the new term now offends someone else.

We are a fractionated people, are we not?

I'm sorry about rolling my eyes. It's just that now it seems everyone has to walk on eggshells when it comes to certain topics. Sometimes it's just to much to keep up with what is correct and what is not. One of my dearest friends is black and gay and that's exactly how he refers to himself as. It's different for everybody so I hope you don't think I'm attacking you personally.

I think that it should be said that terms are often generational and reigonal. As a twenty something living in Arizona I would use the word Hispanic but I can tell you that some of my older family memebers in other parts of the country wouldn't use that term. I think that what matters is what context words are used in she was obviously trying to be thoughtful I really wonder sometimes if people don't think that there is predjudice and inequality simply because they are looking for it and waiting for it to happen. I think there are terms that would be offensive and I won't put them here but I think we need to relax after all people from America are Americans and people from Canada are Canadians ............... you see where I am going with this.

I think that it should be said that terms are often generational and reigonal. As a twenty something living in Arizona I would use the word Hispanic but I can tell you that some of my older family memebers in other parts of the country wouldn't use that term. I think that what matters is what context words are used in she was obviously trying to be thoughtful I really wonder sometimes if people don't think that there is predjudice and inequality simply because they are looking for it and waiting for it to happen. I think there are terms that would be offensive and I won't put them here but I think we need to relax after all people from America are Americans and people from Canada are Canadians ............... you see where I am going with this.

Very good points :highfive:. Context has everything to do with it. To be offended at the mere use of a word regardless of it's context is, IMO, looking for a fight just to look for a fight. I didn't find anything even slightly malicious in Cissy's context, and for her to be called on it is IMO just a bit over the top. JMO.

I think we need to relax after all people from America are Americans and people from Canada are Canadians ............... you see where I am going with this.

Yes, and people from Mexico are Mexicans. And people in my family never thought of a Mexican in a derogatory way. A person from Mexico...period. We don't think of a Mexican as a race of people rather a nationality of people.