confustion on false advertising

No because: 2 of the 12 were never there in the first place . Where those 2 oz would have been was an air pocket, so you are simply filling in what wasn't there in the first place because of the air pocket.

FWIW

A 12oz jar refers to 12 fluid ounces, which is a measure of how much space a liquid takes up. Whether that liquid is heavy (dense) like honey or lighter like water, 12 fluid ounces of it fills up a 12oz jar. Fluid ounces is what you measure with a measuring cup, so think of the jar as a 12oz measuring cup.

An ounce is also used as a measure of weight. Solid wax is weighed by pounds and ounces on a scale, but that's totally different from fluid ounces and will not correspond with the size of the jar.

To figure out how much wax will fit in the jar by weight, weigh the amount of water the jar holds. Since solid wax is lighter than water, multiply by .86 and that's the amount of wax you need.

Hope that's clearer than mud.

For my labels, I weigh the empty container then several filled containers. Subtract the wt of the empty comtainer from the filled wt. take an average and that's is the net wt I put on my labels. Candles are not sold based on fluid oz but on actual Lb and oz wt.

Example The pumpkin jars I just got were advertised as 12 oz jars - that's fluid wt. Actual wax lb and oz wt that I poured into the jars was just over 9 oz.

Thanks for explaining.It just "looks" like when you fill up a 12 oz jar with 12oz of liquid ,its 12oz! Then put 2 oz added to level off . So do you put on your label "12 oz weight" ? This makes me think of the old saying "Do you believe me or your lying eyes".

No, just 12 oz. or ounces. If it were liquid you would use 12 fluid ounces (fl oz). Most people are so used to seeing it, they don't notice the "fl". If you so in your kitcjen to look, a can of pop would say fl ozs and the box of crackers would say oz. HTH

Much ado about not much. If you have a 9 ounce hex jar, just label it 9 ounces. This stuff doesn't even come close to false advertising.

Actually, not true. If the VOLUME is 9 ounces but the WEIGHT of the product is 7 ounces, you have to label it net weight 7 oz. You cannot label it with the volume; it's not a liquid product. 7 ounces of wax is 7 ounces of wax, no matter what size jar you put it in.

e

No because: 2 of the 12 were never there in the first place . Where those 2 oz would have been was an air pocket, so you are simply filling in what wasn't there in the first place because of the air pocket.

FWIW

I'll label mine that says 12 oz of wax and 2 oz of air. Now you can't get anymore truthful than that. ;) Just Kidding.