Help choosing scents

I am going to attempt a layered jar candle for a friend's birthday. I have JUST gotten my first jar to turn out good, no wet spots (I realize that was probably dumb luck) no ripples and no bubbles. Hoping the wick is ok, we'll see...

Anyway, my idea is to do "Friendship in a Jar", with each layer representing a virtue. I'm doing trust, loyalty and understanding. I need ideas for scents and colors to correspond to the virtues. The only thing I came up with so far is making loyalty blue ("true blue" kind of friend...). Anything would help. The other thing is, of course, the scents should also compliment each other. It turned out to be more complicated than I expected... and I haven't even melted any wax yet!

TIA for any input!

**This is somthing I came up with entirely on my own, it was not stolen from any website, message board or anywhere candles are sold (at least not consciously). If I am infringing on anything copywritten, trademarked or otherwise legally owned please let me know and I apologize profusely and remind everyone that this candle is not for resale.

Sorry, I don't have any snappy ideas for you. Maybe just pick one scent and do 3 colors. For some reason, I thought of chocolate when I was thinking about friendship. Maybe becuase all my friends and I are chocoholics!

PS...what does that statement mean at the end of your posts? I don't see a picture of a candle.

Good luck

How about Loyalty, Love, and something else. Maybe Hope or Faith?

Loyalty could be blue and something like Fresh linen, ocean, clean cotton, hydrangea, etc.

Love could be pink - hyacinth, orchid, jasmine, rose, pink sugar, etc

The other color could be white or lavender or even yellow. Not sure what the virtue would be or the scent, but maybe this could get you started. :)

What a cute idea! Seems like you've got loyalty covered, so let's see - trust and understanding.

I googled "color of understanding" and it seems in new age-y type beliefs, yellow or gold represents understanding. In natural health, violet is the color of understanding. The "color of trust" is, in Native American healing, lavender.

SO, maybe you could do a blue, lavender and violet candle, so you have some color continuity, and do an ocean, herbal lavender , and a floral (like a carnation or dare I say...violet...scent).

Interesting idea, and I'd love to see/hear what you come up with!

I would go all floral for your scents. There are many flowers out there that have meanings behind them. Examples are Lily: purity, faith, friendship, devotion. Heather: admiration. Freesia: Innocence, Trust, Friendship. Forget me not: Memories. Hyancith: Constancy. Hydrangea: understanding,heartlessness. Rose: friendship, thank you, admiration. Not exactly sure if this falls under what you are looking for, but maybe it will help.

I was thinking all florals or all foods, so these ideas are great! Here's what I got from the posts so far:

So maybe:

freesia (trust) - purple??

hydrangea (understanding) - blue??

lily (friendship/devotion) - white, with the faintest hint of yellow??

all very light, pastel shades

Or:

Chocolate - comfort food between friends

Coffee - cup of coffee together

some ice cream scent - again, comfort

All pale shades of brown, slightly different.

The blue, lavendar and violet would be very beautiful together, too, though.

Which color rose symbolizes friendship? Maybe I could work it in...

So many ideas!

Oh, and the reason for my little disclaimer...lol: I'm very new here and I was worried that my idea might have been something other more experienced members already offered in their lines and I really did not want to step on any toes. Just wanted valuable input... which I am absolutely getting!! Should my candle turn out ok, I will post a pic!

I have decided to do the following:

Gardenia - symbolizes sincerity (creamy white)

Pink hydrangea - symbolizes understanding (pink)

Freesia - symbolizes trust (pale purple)

I'm excited to get started, found the oils from someone on the boards (THANKS!) and paid very little for just what I needed. Thanks for the replies!