Making Wicks

I accently bought unwaxed wicks. What is the best way to add wax and disc. I was told by a supplier that I should some hardner to my wax. Also is it worth the trouble. Hope you don't get sick of my questions. This message board is better then any book.

Well for container candles I prefer wicks that are premade. Now for pillar I prime my own I usually try to prime it with a wax that has a higher melt point but don't always do that. The burn is pretty much the same either way. Priming your wicks is so the wick will stay lit on the first burn and to remove the air from the wick. You do not need to add air bubbles to your candles. Unprimed wicks when lit will burn up really fast and some times not stay lit till the waxed part of the wick lites.

As for how it do it is pretty easy I put wicking in hot wax let it sit for a few minutes to get the air out. I remove it and use a paper towel folded to remove the excess wax, then hang it straight till dry, then just cut off the amount I need. When I need it I put the tab on at that time if I am using one and crimp the base of the tab with a pair of needle nosed pliers.

I think I made that sound more complicated than it really is.

Priming your wicks is so the wick will stay lit on the first burn and to remove the air from the wick. You do not need to add air bubbles to your candles. Unprimed wicks when lit will burn up really fast and some times not stay lit till the waxed part of the wick lites.

Hmmmm I've never heard that.....I've literally made hundreds of pillars over the past 6 years and always use unprimed wicks for them. I've never had a problem with the wick staying lit or so called air bubbles. :cool2:

Have you ever seen tiny air bubbles come up from around your wick after you pour your candle. That is the air bubbles I am talking about. I didn't say it affected anything I just said that is why it done.

If you are wicking your mold and using tape or putty to seal you molds the wick is priming itself. No matter what you do the wax will seep up the wick.

If you use wick pins or molds like silicone and then use unprimed wicks you will have all kinds of problems of keeping the wick lit.

Me too. I use unprimed with pillars with no problems. I notice the wax soaks into the wick anyway so why double the work? It is also much cheaper to buy a spool of unprimed wicking than primed and cut.

Of course for containers it's a whole other story.