Success with soy!

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

Im so happy, I've had success with soy. :yay: Can't wait to unveil it! I will at my show next weekend. I can't wait. I've tested like 6 different soy waxes. I like the greenleaf blend, but wanted all soy. It reflects my all natural approach. I've tested diffrent wicks and scents. I could not really smell anything. Then the wax would hang on the walls of the container and not burn straight like the paraffin candles I've been making for a few years. After these months, I'm so happy. I had to make my own and it's Peaks Mandarin Plum (got from the classifieds) and it smells so good! I've had fewer wet spots each time I pour. My BF kept saying, "if you bring another candle over here!" I'm always at his house and wanted to see how they burned. I noticed I can't pour this at high temps like the paraffin. I had to warm my jars and wait for my wax to cool, not slushy and the tops are smooth. Before they looked like old milk and burned like that as well. I'm just so happy, had to share! I'll continue to test just in case. I'm confident and please don't mistake this thread for a newbie one. I have not being doing candles for 20 years, but longer than 2 months - much longer! I know the benefits of testing.

So what kind of soy wax did you use that gave you this sucess. I am trying to use all natural soy as well and im about to give up. as a matter of fact i just ordered the 70/30 from GL to start testing. But its a bummer because I really want to be able to say 100% natural soy wax, you know what I mean?

Guest EMercier

That was my issue. I wanted to say 100% soy and I was tired of cutting the slabs of wax. I love the flakes. They are so easy to work with. I am using EcoSoya 135 mp Container Soy Wax from candles and supplies. I poured so many candles in different containers. I wanted to go to mini balmorals, but didn't work right. I actually had my success with the jelly jars that I normally carry, which is good because I'd be going crazy buying other stuff. The one I made for myself is the 11 oz tumbler sample I received from Fairway glass.

Guest EMercier
Isn't it great when it all finally comes together!! I'm not new to candle making but brand new to soy and it's like starting over from scratch.

Yea I was surely going to give up. I asked others here questions on soy.

Guest EMercier

No, my tops are smooth and not frosted nor rough. I didn't check the temp. I know I melted it and watched it, once it got fulled melted, I poured into my pot. I waited about 20 minutes to pour in my scent, then I waited another 20-30 minutes and felt the side and it was warm to the touch, no longer hot when I first poured into the pot. I thought about that after I poured it. I was like, oh shoot, I should've recorded the temperature! I also poured clamshells. They are great. I did warm my jar and I think that makes a big difference. The others I poured like I poured my other wax and it had wetspots all over. After many questions on here, I warmed my jar and had success in pouring with little wetspots. My house is always chilly downstairs. So I might have to try bringing a heater in the room to break the chill a bit. Sometimes I will boil water and it'll give extra heat in my "workshop". No additives, I thought about it, but I didn't know what to use. I went without anything.

Im getting good results with cb135 too.

I don't heat the jars - they're just room temperature.

I add scent at 170.

I pour at 107.

Mostly no frosting altho a tiny bit now and then.

Smooth(ish) tops, but solved with a slightly hotter single repour of a couple of millimetres.

Hope this helps.

Nat