pretty much new,votive wax, and containers help, please !!

Hi everyone,

Happy Easter!

i only posted once on this forum cause i'm more into soapmaking than candle making, but i'm really interested...

i wanted to know if it's ok to use straight parafin, maybe with some stearic acid and vybar to make votive candles, and also will all votive totally liquefy,or does it depend on the type of wax you use? and is it necessary to put the votive in a container when you're burning it?

Thanks a lot,

Laura, Sweden....

Hi Laura!

Yes you can use straight paraffin with additives to make votives. Just don't use too much vybar or it could lock up the scent. You can any kind of vybar for the votives. Typically defined by the MP of your wax.

Whether to add additives or not depends on the type of wax. For instance if you get a preblended wax then you don't need to add to it. Well the only things to add would be UV (ultraviolet), FO and color if you want.

YES!! Votives need to burn in a votive holder. Preferable is the straight sided kind. Yes they will liquify, but not typically all at once, though some on her are trying to find the formula that would let the whole candle melt at once.

I will try to answer what I can for you.... first off, I use a votive/pillar blend, and have not used straight parafin, BUT, it stands to reason that you should be able to use it, with some additives. I am sure others will pitch in and tell you for sure.

Generally, votives will completely burn down, and its best to put them in a tight fitting container to burn them. It will also depend on what type and size of wick you use, as to how fast it will burn..... just wanted to my 2 cents worth in..... HTH :grin2:

There are some people I know who use their holders as molds and make their votives that way as if they were replacements. You'll just need to test it out and see how your recipe works and the wicks you pick.

Some just make the votive in the glass and use it that way. Your preference. Molds can be made out of many, many, many things -- probably limited only by the imagination ;)

Thanks guys for the answers,well as i will need to put them in a container to burn them, can't i just use these containers as molds also, so i don't have to buy molds + containers? and if i do it like that will i need to change the type of wax or wix....?

Thanks,

Laura.

Yes you can and leave the candle in the holder to burn. You can also use some of the glass holders as a mold, if you use the right wax that shrinks when it cools. Most straight paraffins with vybar added will work, you will just have to test which ones will work. If the holder has a lip around the top inside opening it will not work, you will not be able to get the candle out. If the top of the holder is smooth then you should be able to push down on the top of the candle in the holder to release it to come out. These work better with votive wick pins.