Flat top Pillars...NOT!

Ok, I know this takes practice but practice on about 20 pillars????

Im using AW4212, poking relief holes and having to repour about 3 times and then when its finally dry, the quarter inch of repour I did, is a lighter color than the rest of the candle and isnt adhered to the rest of the candle very good.

What am I doing wrong?

When I repour, should I be just repouring the hole or repouring over the entire top again?

You should re-pour/top-off slightly hotter than the original pour and not above the original pour line. I top-off just slightly below the original pour line. The hotter pour temp. makes the wax stick on re-pours.

BTW - In your post it sounds like you are tring to top-off you candle for a smooth flat top. If you don't know a pillar mold bottom is the top of the finished candle.

Not familiar with the wax, but in general, poke the relief holes and keep them open till the inside of the candle isn't liquid. So maybe start poking about an hour after your pour (for solid colors). Pour your wax in about 5 degrees hotter than your initial pour. Do not over fill your mold past the original pour line or a jump line will form.

As for differences in colors. Don't know what would be causing that. The adherence though needs a little more heat.

Ok...now I feel like a complete RETARD!

Never thought about the bottom of the mold being the top of my candle!

Sure is a good thing people dont know me!

Also hope not many people read this post!

So the tops of my pillars dont have to be perfect since technically it is the bottom!?

So the tops of my pillars dont have to be perfect since technically it is the bottom!?

Don't feel that way, it is all in learning. Remember to that when your pillar is done to level it, this will help with any little mishapes on the bottom of your pillar.:smiley2:

Unless you choose to make it your top, which can be done as well. Don't worry about it. I doubt people think you're a retard ;)

Chin up, don't feel bad, my bottoms are not all that smooth when I unmold, sometimes you can see where I repoured at lower temp instead of a hotter temp, than sometimes you can't tell because I did a perfect repour. That's why it's always good to keep accurate notes regarding pouring temps and repours. The more times you practice, the less likely you'll see lines in your repours, eventually they will start to blend.

(holding hand over heart)

I promise not to tell anyone as long as you send me one of your pillars :P

geek :grin2:

I would just add that you should do your second pour after the candle is completely or just about completely cool (matter of preference). That way you'll only have to do it once. It's OK if the candle has separated from the mold at that point, just be careful not to spill over the edge.

Here are the pillar instructions if you want to just review everything http://www.candletech.com/metalpillarmolds/.