consistency of sugar scrubs?

Meridith

I made my first sugar scrub tonight and was wondering what the consistency of sugar scrubs is supposed to be. This was just a batch for me to play with and kind of get a feel for making them. In mine, I used plain white sugar, raspberry seeds, jojoba oil, avocado oil, fco, madadamia oil, SAO, honey and glycerine. I have turbinado sugar on the way but couldn't wait for it to arrive so I used regular white sugar. Should the sugar absorb all the oil and have no extra oil in them? Or should the sugar kind of be "floating in the oil." I hope this made sense. :tongue2: TIA

I make a sugar scrub using SAO, jojoba and Cocoa butter. I use the turbinado sugar that I can get at WalMart and add about 3/4 of the box to 8 ounces of oils. My scrub has a thin layer of oil on top. I think I am going to get brave and try an emulsified scrub this weekend since I got some cetyl alcohol to play with.

This one was just oils and sugar. I have ewax so I want to soon try one like that. But I tried to start off with what I thought might be the easiest and work my way up. The recipe I used didn't seem to leave the sugar in enough oils, so I improvised and added other oils. Once finished, I had a thin layer of oils on top of the sugar. Also, the sugar is kind of stuck together but does "loosen" up when used in the warm water. Is this normal? Will turbinado sugar not do this? I have ordered turbinado sugar and am not really sure what it is. Is it just raw sugar? Once again, thanks for the help. :smiley2:

You do have e-wax for an emulisified scrub right? I don't use cetyl in mine but e-wax, butters and oils

Got ewax for it but a recipe I found listed cetyl alcohol as an ingredient so I thought it was necessary. Can you tell I have a lot to learn???

The granules of the turbinado sugar I use are HUGE and I found they were a bit rough, so I grind them up.

I can't even remember how many different recipes I have tried to get the right consistency. If it's not emulsified enough then it has a tendency to separate in the heat here (and I really don't like the oil floating on top) and if it's too thick then you can't scoop it out of the jar. I've tried various oils/butters, salts/sugars, adding soap/fbb. I thought I finally had the perfect recipe, poured it into jars, used it the next day and I loved it. By the third day it had hardened up to the point of needing a chisel to get it out of the jar. I thought about pouring it into a slab mold and cutting it into bars but I'm not sure how they would hold up. There is a couple that sell it at the local flea market and people are lined up to buy it at $12.00 for a small jar ( looks like 6 oz ). It's made with dead sea salt and sweet almond oil and such a small amount of fo that you can't really smell it. The husband has a container of water, big bowl and paper towels. As you walk buy he offers you the chance to try it. He lets you pick out the sample, he scoops a small amount into your hand, tells you to rub it in real well, hold your hands over the bowl and he pours water over your hands, gives you a paper towel to dry with and almost every single person ends up buying a jar. It's the only product they sell and there is always a crowd in front of their booth. If I had a license to sell cosmetics ( all products here including soap are considered cosmetic:mad: )

then I would definitely want someone standing there doing nothing except getting peeps to try sample.

I can't even remember how many different recipes I have tried to get the right consistency. If it's not emulsified enough then it has a tendency to separate in the heat here (and I really don't like the oil floating on top) and if it's too thick then you can't scoop it out of the jar. I've tried various oils/butters, salts/sugars, adding soap/fbb. I thought I finally had the perfect recipe, poured it into jars, used it the next day and I loved it. By the third day it had hardened up to the point of needing a chisel to get it out of the jar. I thought about pouring it into a slab mold and cutting it into bars but I'm not sure how they would hold up. There is a couple that sell it at the local flea market and people are lined up to buy it at $12.00 for a small jar ( looks like 6 oz ). It's made with dead sea salt and sweet almond oil and such a small amount of fo that you can't really smell it. The husband has a container of water, big bowl and paper towels. As you walk buy he offers you the chance to try it. He lets you pick out the sample, he scoops a small amount into your hand, tells you to rub it in real well, hold your hands over the bowl and he pours water over your hands, gives you a paper towel to dry with and almost every single person ends up buying a jar. It's the only product they sell and there is always a crowd in front of their booth. If I had a license to sell cosmetics ( all products here including soap are considered cosmetic:mad: )

then I would definitely want someone standing there doing nothing except getting peeps to try sample.

gonna sell some FBB scrub at the next show I do maybe I should try this :) what does he do with the water ?? it seems like you would go through alot of water ....

I made my first sugar scrub tonight and was wondering what the consistency of sugar scrubs is supposed to be. This was just a batch for me to play with and kind of get a feel for making them. In mine, I used plain white sugar, raspberry seeds, jojoba oil, avocado oil, fco, madadamia oil, SAO, honey and glycerine. I have turbinado sugar on the way but couldn't wait for it to arrive so I used regular white sugar. Should the sugar absorb all the oil and have no extra oil in them? Or should the sugar kind of be "floating in the oil." I hope this made sense. :tongue2: TIA

I prefer mine thick and no separated oils. I package it with a scoop but I will use tubes when I can find some samples. It would be so easy to carry into the shower and just scrub yourself silly. I've used plain sugar and brown sugar and of course the brown sugar is less abrasive but it worked well. When I began experimenting I used honey and my daughter told me it felt sticky and she didn't like that...I probably used too much honey;)

I've seen them sold with oil floating on top and I didn't like the way that looked or having to mix it before using it.