measuring liquid dyes...

Okay, I got my first set of liquid dyes in the mail today! I am so excited! I got a whole set from Lone Star. They have a way to measure out the drops depending on how many pounds of wax you melt, but it is very confusing! My question is this: (I am such a visual person - abstract math and I don't go well together!)

If 7 drops = .05% of a color, how many drops = .001%?

How many drops = .01%?

And that would mean that 14 drops = .1% correct?

Someone who is a math genius, or just has these formulas figured out - PLEASE HELP!

Here is the webpage if it helps (it's another language to me!)

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/dyes.html

Thanks!

well I don't have formulas figured out but the way I would look at it based on what you have given you want 1 fifth (1/5) of what they gave you as a guideline. if 7 drops equals .05 percent and you want .01 %. then you would divide 7 (drops) by five. That would be 1.4 drops. I don't think it is very easy to get 1.4 drops.

I use the liquid dyes from Peak's. I know what you mean about the math, I feel pretty much the same way.

When I 1st got my liquid colors, I would melt 4 oz wax & add varying amts of color drops to get a better idea of what the color would like when solid.

4 oz - 1 drop

4 oz - 2 drops

4 oz - 3 drops

4 oz - 4 drops.

Obviously, 4 oz X 4 = 16 oz = 1 lb. So, instead of testing a whole lb of wax, I just test 1/4 lb.

If I like any particular shade, let's say I was making a 1 lb candle ...

1 lb wax to 4 drops color (1 drop x 4)

8 drops (2 drops x 4)

So you see, we're getting back into math. :(

Then I read that some ppl use a white tile. They mix a little color to their wax, drop some colored wax on the tile, let it solidify, & viola, there's an idea of the color you'll end up with. However, I find that's not really true, but sure does beat the heck out of all that math!

I think you'll find you just have to play w/ the color a bit. Just don't have precise expectations on the final color & you'll always be happy. ;)

Okay, I got my first set of liquid dyes in the mail today! I am so excited! I got a whole set from Lone Star. They have a way to measure out the drops depending on how many pounds of wax you melt, but it is very confusing!

Well you quickly discovered the downside of using liquid dye for small batches. If you want to use any amount of wax you please, it's hopeless to try measuring a consistent amount of color.

Option 1: Adjust your methods to the dye and choose amounts of wax that never get you into a fraction of a drop for the color shade you want.

Option 2: Do a little more work and adjust the dye to your methods. You can get some of those clamshell packages people use for tarts and make your own solid color blocks, then cut and weigh from the blocks with an accurate scale.

Why make it so confusing just use drops and go from there.

If you pour 1Lb of wax count the # drops for that color. Example say you want light purple and you use 1 drop red & 1 drop blue but remember some FO will change the final color if the FO is dark in color.

The way I keep my color chart is I use index cards in an index card file box with A-Z dividers. I write my cards like this:

(these are just examples)

2# Cinnamon Red

Container Wax

Red Drops - 6

or

2# Cinnamon Red

Votive/Pillar

Red Drops - 3

File each card under the scent name then you can look up that color when you need to pour more of that scent.

Hope this simplifies things.

Candle Man

Thanks for all your ideas...I can see that the easiest way to go is to figure out a method for measuring out drops consistently and go from there. I love the index card idea. I already have a testing spreadsheet that I designed and use and that can help, too. Thanks all!