Universal Additive For Soy

I have been reading about this for a while on supplier sites.

It claims to be the Vybar for soy. I haven't used it, and would love to hear any input on this product. The good, the bad and the ugly.

The website gives no info on product usage as far as percentages of use in soy- it just seems to have "claims" on it for lack of a better term.

http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/category/additives.universal_additive/

On the RE site it gives a bit more info- but are all UV for soy created equal?

http://www.rusticescentuals.com/wax.html (scroll down)

Vybar for soy is a fairly apt description. It's an emulsifier that smooths out the crystal structure of the wax and suppresses frosting. One side effect is that it raises the melt point of the wax and hardens it. It can be more than an additive - many soy wax formulations include it as an integral component.

I don't know if all the suppliers are selling the same thing. This kind of monoglyceride stuff is used as a food additive and there are lots of different kinds. You'll often see lecithin on food labels and that's one of them. I think generally they're vegetable derived.

There are lots of different UV inhibitors too. Look at Cytec's website and see how many they offer for various applications. There seem to be several kinds of inhibitors offered for candlesmaking use and they do differ in performance, but I just use one and don't sweat the details. For soy I like the newer one BCN carries because it includes an antioxidant.

I purchased some soywax called MC 125. My question is that if it is 100% soy is it suppose to be yellow like vegetable oil when a candle burns ? Also I heated the wax to 180 per instructions and added color, cooled to 175 added scent -1oz per pound and poured at 110. It is a smooth candle no bubbles or wet spots, one pour, but when the candle is burnt it seems to be powdery around the edges of the container. Any advice on what I am doing or should be doing would be ever so much appreciated.

Thanks Nona

I purchased some soywax called MC 125. My question is that if it is 100% soy is it suppose to be yellow like vegetable oil when a candle burns ? Also I heated the wax to 180 per instructions and added color, cooled to 175 added scent -1oz per pound and poured at 110. It is a smooth candle no bubbles or wet spots, one pour, but when the candle is burnt it seems to be powdery around the edges of the container. Any advice on what I am doing or should be doing would be ever so much appreciated.

Thanks Nona

That is the dreaded Frosting we try to eliminate. You could spend your entire life (as well as life savings) trying to eliminate but short of adding any amount of paraffin in it plain soy will frost on you. You can add Universal Soy Additive, or BW, and it may reduce it considerably, but it will never quite go away. Some have found a way to eradicate it completely in plain soy, but the time invested may not be worth it to some chandlers. Many find it much easier to add 20-30% paraffin or just educate customers that it is a necessary evil in order to have a "natural" candle.

If just a slight ring around the edge is all you have, then you don't have that much, and maybe some USA will kill it for you!

geek

• 1 month later...

I just got some Universal Soy Additive and put in some of my candles and it really helped the top come out smooth. Before I added it the tops were rough looking and I had to use my heat gun to smooth them out. That didn't help so I put some UVA in it and they turned out nice. Very smooth and look great.

Something worth trying.

Good to know, Chauna. I've got some 444 in my kitchen right now (it's got the USA already added at 2%) and I can't wait to try it.

And yes, I did read that 12 page testing thread on the 444. ;)

Speaking of that, did you have sinkhole problems with the additive? How did that go?

Hi. I've been using Candlesoylutions UA and it does help with the tops. Also, when testing CB127 which is said to hold up to 6% FO, Northstar said by adding UA to the wax that you could increase the FO load. It hardens the wax some, but no seeping of FO at higher %. And, it did work for me. Beth

I love how smooth they look after adding the UVA. Very cool. A big change in the top look. Try the UVA and see how they look before and after. Big difference.

Tried the GB444 last night with Nag Champa FO, and you're right, the tops did look very smooth for a 130* pour, although I did get the sinkhole (a minor one) at the wicks. No cracks, though, and not one single wet spot, even this morning.

GB444 is pretty much 98% GB415 and 2% UVA.

I was worried about the cold throw issue so I had my husband smell it this morning without giving him any background on the candle. His first impression was that the throw was really strong so I guess I may have candle nose.

I think I may try pouring a tad hotter (140*) and putting the candle in an insulated area to cool and see if that affects the sinkhole issue at all.