Joy Wax Users/S.O.S.

Hi,

I don't use paraffin, but my mother-in-law ordered from NG. She ordered the paraffin. I can't help her with this, I have never made a paraffin.

I got her a soy kit as a winter project, she loved it. She wants to refill her votive jars to her chandelier. She thought that she had to use the same type of wax that was in them. We got the chandelier and votives from Yankee a couple of years ago for her and Pops. They used the Citronellas in it - out in their screenhouse - all last summer.

Can someone tell me what wick she should use in, presumably, a standard votive...(Citronella or LEMONGRASS FO...NATURES GARDEN)?

I would really appreciate help. I am clueless on paraffin.

Thank you very much,

Fern-Marie

Hi,

I don't use paraffin, but my mother-in-law ordered from NG. She ordered the paraffin. I can't help her with this, I have never made a paraffin.

I got her a soy kit as a winter project, she loved it. She wants to refill her votive jars to her chandelier. She thought that she had to use the same type of wax that was in them. We got the chandelier and votives from Yankee a couple of years ago for her and Pops. They used the Citronellas in it - out in their screenhouse - all last summer.

Can someone tell me what wick she should use in, presumably, a standard votive...(Citronella or LEMONGRASS FO...NATURES GARDEN)?

I would really appreciate help. I am clueless on paraffin.

Thank you very much,

Fern-Marie

Joy Wax is a soy blend (98% or so soy, roughly) , and way too soft for votives. Are you sure it is Joy Wax she got?

joy wax is NG's container blend..yes about 98% soy. They do have other waxes though.

Better double check to see what wax you have there. I am double confused too, are you trying to make votives or to fill the votive holder. If you are just going to fill the holder the joy wax will work and I am sure you will have to test a few wicks to get it right. If you are trying to make votives out of container wax that will not work.

Thanks for your responses.

She told me that she bought "Paraffin Wax" from Nature's Garden. Since they only have the mottled, Mp 145 - which is being discontinued, and Joy Wax, I took for granted that it was the Joy Wax. I will double check with her tomorrow on exactly what she got.

She will be pouring the wax right into the wicked votive glass - provided we can get the thing properly wicked. Would the regular free standing votive and a glassed in votive take different wicks?? I do not make the free standing votives...I use glassware for everything.

I will get more detailed info tomorrow.

They retired to waayyy up Maine, about 5 hours from us. I'd love to see her develop a craft as a nice hobby, especially for the long winters. But, I really wish that she had a soy that I am familiar with. I want to help her.

Thanks again,

Fern-Marie

I just happen to have some zinc core wicks from my gellin' days.

They're 6", but if it works, I'll cut them and give her those.

Poor thing, I don't really think that she understood the amount of testing. I really think that she just thought that I could tell her which wick I use.

She didn't understand that there is a big difference, and all of the variances in making caldles.

I really would prefer that she work with something that I can help her with.

She would too, now.

I may just make her a bunch to save her the trouble, and give her wicks to test. Oy. I almost fell off the chair when she told me so proudly that she bought wax...paraffin. I hate to see her take the loss, financially.

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.