Melt & Pour base

moniek

You'll probably get several different answers to this. ;)

I personally do not think they are all created equal, some lather better than others, some clear bases are not really "clear" etc.

I really like the SFIC bases, but I've used WSP's also, and they are good, they just really kill me with their inflated shipping charges. :rolleyes:

I found a local supplier and tried here soaps (wisteria Lane), and I like them as well, but I ordered 40lbs. from the SFIC co-op that was done recently here (thanks Mystic). I had used them before so I knew what to buy, but it's really best to buy this in a co-op since I think there is a minimum. ;)

I find that if I add butters and oils to my bases I can hardly tell which base I'm using. ;)

You'll probably get several different answers to this. ;)

I personally do not think they are all created equal, some lather better than others, some clear bases are not really "clear" etc.

I really like the SFIC bases, but I've used WSP's also, and they are good, they just really kill me with their inflated shipping charges. :rolleyes:

I found a local supplier and tried here soaps (wisteria Lane), and I like them as well, but I ordered 40lbs. from the SFIC co-op that was done recently here (thanks Mystic). I had used them before so I knew what to buy, but it's really best to buy this in a co-op since I think there is a minimum. ;)

I find that if I add butters and oils to my bases I can hardly tell which base I'm using. ;)

But how do you add to bases without compermizing the perservitive? Also will adding oils (beside FO's) make the soap slimy, sticky, to soft or runny?

There was a recent post about adding oils to m&p. What I gather is that the amount of oils that people add are minimal so it does not leave the soap slimy. It would be something you would need to experiment with if you felt the need to add oils.

I bought those 2lb soap pre-scored soap blocks that are generic and don't ever say what brand they are. I thought that was fine, until I started using other brands. I asked for recommendations and it seemed like most people praised SFIC, so I broke down, bought a sample of it, along with Stephenson's and WSP.

Once I tried those other brands I could see how crappy my pre-scored generic soap was. It had a strong odor of alcohol and could only muster a pawltry lather at best. I found out that the brand I was using was made by a canadian company, Quality Cosmetica. There are a LOT of suppliers who sell this brand because it is c-h-e-a-p. After I found out what I was using I contacted them and got a copy of their price list to buy wholesale. It's price, not quality why suppliers offer this soap.

It was a very difficult decision between the Stephenson's goat's milk and SFIC. I thought they were both great, but I wound up making a bulk purchase of SFIC for a number of reasons. It had a good lather, no offensive odor, and I liked that it was non-comedogenic, plus if I needed to sell off a few pounds I knew that most people preferred SFIC.

If you want to try Stephenson's you can get it from chemistrystore.com.

For SFIC try http://www.kycandlewaxsupply.com/bathandbody.htm

Once you try these, I doubt you will ever go back to the craft store again!

SFIC is my favorite. I do like other brands for certain things, such as WSP's oatmeal base, or NG's Honey base. It's subjective just like anything else. I use small amounts of various additives, and I dare someone to tell me it doesn't help my base. I know it does and it doesn't compromise the integrity of it either.

I plan on running a SFIC co-op sometime in June. Co-ops are a great way to try things without having to buy the maximum amount. I think SFIC has a 5 case minimum. Occasionally you'll find people selling MP base in the classifieds too... another great place to look.

Yes, I absolutely vote for SFIC too. I have tried the Stephenson's bases, and while they were ok, their shea butter soap had such an oily smell to it that even FOs could not cover it up...I ended up giving that away. I think SFIC's bases lather much better than Stephensons. The only thing about SFIC is that their extra clear base in not the clearest, but still better in my mind.