Water discounting in CP

Scented

With certain FO's, I would say yes. But with the well behaving FO's, I've never noticed trace being cut down. The time its for the bar to harden up really good is much less, that's what I notice. I suppose it could help with a quicker trace, I've just never noticed it.

There are charts out there that tell you what to do to get a specific % water discount.

For a 33% discount, take your lye and times by 2 and that's what your water amount is. Then 33% of the solution is lye and the remaining is water. That's what I normally use, sometimes I do go lower.

I'd start with well behaving FO's and use maybe 20% first and if that works for you, go higher.

Another thing to watch for when discounting is that it can mess with your bar size.

So if you have a recipe that fits 2 molds perfectly, and you do a deep(er) discount, you have to take that into account when dividing up the batch to go in the molds. I've forgotten that and really kicked myself later on.

According to the "Soap Naturally" book that I have, and use all the time water discounts for a DWCP are calculated as follows;

water amount = NaOH weight divided by 40 times by 60.

This gives a 40% water discount amount.

water amount = NaOH weight/33*67.

This give a 33 % water discount amount.

The same for any amount that you need to calculate.

I hope this helps.

Tracey