No Soy Scent Throw

I have switched over to soy from paraffin and the only soy I can get in the UK is EcoSoya Pillar Blend and also CB135 or CB advanced.

I have increased the amount of FO I use from 1oz per lb to 1.5oz per pound but I swear, my soy candles have NO throw! The candle itself smells lovely when you press your nose to it, but there is no cold or hot throw.

I used fragrance from Bear Laboratories, Just Scent, Bitter Creek, Aztec and Gemlite and they just don't smell!

I thought perhaps it was my nose being too accustomed, but I had my sister round today and she said that the only time you can smell it is when your nose is close enough to the candle and you breathe in the hot air.

I changed wicks to make sure I had the largest melt pool possible and I use no additives - only a few drops of liquid dye.

Would it be worthwhile blending some paraffin into the soy?

Is there any "best" temperature to add the FO for maximum throw?

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

If I was to blend soy and paraffin - what, in your experience, is the best ratio?

Thanks for your help,

Natasha

just wondering....at what temp are you adding your FO, what temp are you pouring, and how long are you curing before lighting??

sorry for all the ???'s.

I have used the CB advanced for quite some time and have not had a problem with it, although I know that others here have.

Sorry, I should have mentioned all of this in my original message.

I'm specifically talking about pillars - my containers are OK.

I'm using EcoSoya PB for my pillars. Heating to 165, adding dye at 165 adding fragrance at 155 and pouring at 145, with second pour at 135.

curing between 48 hours or as long as 7 or 8 days.

Natasha

I couldn't get a scent throw from Ecosoya Advanced either (container blend) unless I blended it 50/50 with paraffin. I've heard others say they had good luck with that wax though.

Sorry, I should have mentioned all of this in my original message.

I'm specifically talking about pillars - my containers are OK.

I'm using EcoSoya PB for my pillars. Heating to 165, adding dye at 165 adding fragrance at 155 and pouring at 145, with second pour at 135.

curing between 48 hours or as long as 7 or 8 days.

Natasha

I haven't done pillars(can't get the wicking right :cry2:), but I have done votives w/that wax. I heat to 150-155, add color, FO, and pour @ 140. I have been getting a good throw.

Have you seen this candle supplier site from the UK? www.candleicious.biz

It looks like they have several types of soy/veggie based waxes.

Hi,

Yes I've seen this website - I don't want palm waxes or "effect" waxes, I like a nice smooth pillar and they only have one type of soy wax which is the ecosoya that I use.

Even if I wanted to use their waxes, they are hideously expensive - their minimum is around $10 a kilo, and up to $20 a kilo for "effect" waxes. I get mine directly from a wax refining company at around $2 per kilo.

Just to further emphasise just how expensive this website is - take a look at their pillar candles - for a 9.5" by 4" pillar, they are charging $70, and for just 3 votives, they charge $10 give or take a few cents!

Now that is expensive!