Soy Blends

Is anyone ever curious what exactly is in these soy blends? I have been using nothing but 100% but I am curious if I could venture out into trying to establish my own blend. Or is it just easier to stick with the manufactured blends. I want want to keep 100% for EO's for genuine naturalists. But willing to try a blend if it makes it look professional, as long as it is all vegetable. I was looking at Beeswax and Palm Stearic. Two big companies were just confusing me more with the use of Palm Stearic and soy. Does it or doesn't it hold the sent better? Or is Beeswax better.

The funny part is I went to a craft show this weekend and found this booth of candles. This lady made the most beautiful hurricanes I have ever seen. Then she had the soy candle display. Barely any scent throw. She advertised 100% soy wax. I went to open the tops and knew rightaway it was not 100%. She had no frost lines what so ever. Especially in the dark colors. The tops were smoothly poured. I know we can come as close as possible but this was to obvious. I just wish they would at least change their word tactics like "Made with soy" or "All natural Soy blend".

I don't use any additives (I've been meaning to try UV inhibitor because so many people mention it) at all and had been using EZSOY which is supposed to be 100% soy...I don't have frost lines, even in the dark blues of blueberry or bright red cranberry...and they are smooth on top with a one pour IF I pour cool enough. I could be wrong, but those things don't HAVE to be there in a soy candle they just are usually present in some at least...maybe she used a heat gun on the tops etc. I don't care for the ezsoy because it is such a hassle to get those results, but it is possible IMO

The funny part is I went to a craft show this weekend and found this booth of candles. This lady made the most beautiful hurricanes I have ever seen. Then she had the soy candle display. Barely any scent throw. She advertised 100% soy wax. I went to open the tops and knew rightaway it was not 100%. She had no frost lines what so ever. Especially in the dark colors. The tops were smoothly poured. I know we can come as close as possible but this was to obvious. I just wish they would at least change their word tactics like "Made with soy" or "All natural Soy blend".

If the distinction you're making is between the "pure soy" products and other soy waxes, I would say they are all called soy wax so it's all 100% soy wax candles.

I don't think it would be realistic to expect people who use, say, NatureWax C-3 to dumb down their labeling. What would be more realistic is that people who use "pure soy" products could add on their labels, in case anybody cares, "the wax used in this candle contains no ingredient that isn't derived from a soybean."

While I don't think the exact formulation of an all-vegetable wax is all that significant, seems to me the labeling should clearly indicate if the wax includes a petroleum ingredient or an animal ingredient (beeswax). Those distinctions are potentially more important to consumers who might be expecting an all-vegetable wax.

If the distinction you're making is between the "pure soy" products and other soy waxes, I would say they are all called soy wax so it's all 100% soy wax candles.

I don't think it would be realistic to expect people who use, say, NatureWax C-3 to dumb down their labeling. What would be more realistic is that people who use "pure soy" products could add on their labels, in case anybody cares, "the wax used in this candle contains no ingredient that isn't derived from a soybean."

While I don't think the exact formulation of an all-vegetable wax is all that significant, seems to me the labeling should clearly indicate if the wax includes a petroleum ingredient or an animal ingredient (beeswax). Those distinctions are potentially more important to consumers.

I personally disagree, if your candle is not 100% soy wax then don't call it that. It may seem insignificant, but in this day in age we have to consider the potential allergies that people have, if you have a blended wax then it should be stated that the wax is blended. It only takes one person to create a lawsuit about false advertising, and heaven forbid if it was because that person was allergic to palm or cottonseed, that will hit where ya where it hurts. I'm not saying that you need to list your ingredients on the label, but at least the consumer knows it is only soy and has the option to discuss the candles makeup before purchasing.

I personally disagree, if your candle is not 100% soy wax then don't call it that. It may seem insignificant, but in this day in age we have to consider the potential allergies that people have, if you have a blended wax then it should be stated that the wax is blended. It only takes one person to create a lawsuit about false advertising, and heaven forbid if it was because that person was allergic to palm or cottonseed, that will hit where ya where it hurts. I'm not saying that you need to list your ingredients on the label, but at least the consumer knows it is only soy and has the option to discuss the candles makeup before purchasing.
That strikes me as a bit of a stretch. I understand there are enthusiasts among the candlemakers and some of their customers, but in the grand scheme of things nobody really cares and it doesn't mean that much. I understand why an enthusiast would want a labeling advantage to make their product seem better, but it's neither supportable nor realistic.

Going back to your allergy argument for a moment, I would caution that you aren't in a good position to advise anyone on the allergenic potential of your candles because you don't know what's in them. There's no such substance as "only soy". What if your wax contains soy-derived lecithin as an additive to smooth out the tops and your customer is allergic to lecithin?

I've seen this debate forever! If you are striving for an 'all natural' candle, then you need to make sure your soy is organic--nothing added--before or after harvest of the beans. You mentioned that you are using only EOs, which is great, but remember the warnings for using them. Certain EOs are harmful to certain people. I assume you are using natural coloring or no coloring at all. I think an all natural candle is a neat idea, but for some reason the folks in my area hate the characteristics of 100% soy. I therefore add 20% parafin, but all I list is that it is a soy blend candle. Since I don't advertise as all natural, I could care less if I list every ingredient! I do take exception with the candles being labeled 'all natural' when they are selling 'Fudge Brownie' scented candles. As soon as the fo hits the soy, it is no longer 'all natural', that goes for the coloring also. I have seen more labels saying the wax is all natural, which is ok I guess. There's just so many ways to go about making soy candles without using scare tactics.

Pam R

Here is an example. There is a soy or soy based candle out there that they say you can use on your skin while warmed. Well that candle company has to get FDA approval because it then falls under a pharmaceutical catagory for skin care. So they have to list every ingredient for allergin reasons. Or else they can turn around and be sued if they have a customer who dies from anaphalaxis. (Yes that is possible) I myself am allergic to some petroleum bases. That is why I do not use paraffin. I like to know what I am dealing with. As a consumer myself I want to know. We take our chances buying parafin because it is derived from a fossil fuel source. But we know whats in it at least. But when we are told 100% I demand as a paying consumer buying that product to get what I pay for. If I decide to use a blend I will at least have the consideration to say soy candles but just that, not 100%. If the consumer wants to know then they can ask exactly how much is soy. There is a difference between marketing and false advertising.

I am not trying to knock any of you guys. It was merely an observation at a craft show.

Plus I disagree there is a difference between organic and natural.

Organic- (relating to or derived from living things-such as plant life) involving, producing, or dealing in foods produced without the use of laboratory-made fertililizers, growth substances, antibiotics, or pesticides.

Natural- not artificial, of or relating to nature. These are from Websters!

Making an all soy candle even if botanicals are added plus EO's is natural because they are all derived from a plant. Yes it crosses the line of organic. But as far as the wax goes it is derived from a plant source. The EO's are a plant source. That is sometimes good enough for people. I also agree alot of these premium candle do mislead and use FO's while stating its all natural. Slatskin and Votivo are big examples they don't even state what kind of wax at all they are made of on the packaging.

Lets just all be grateful how creative we are and how much we like scents. That is the key. This isn't a political debate. You all are creative individuals who take pride in what you do.

That strikes me as a bit of a stretch. I understand there are enthusiasts among the candlemakers and some of their customers, but in the grand scheme of things nobody really cares and it doesn't mean that much. I understand why an enthusiast would want a labeling advantage to make their product seem better, but it's neither supportable nor realistic.

Going back to your allergy argument for a moment, I would caution that you aren't in a good position to advise anyone on the allergenic potential of your candles because you don't know what's in them. There's no such substance as "only soy". What if your wax contains soy-derived lecithin as an additive to smooth out the tops and your customer is allergic to lecithin?

I find this slightly ridiculous, so I am going to respond once and this is over. I will caution you that you aren't in a good position to judge me as to what I know or don't know. I am entitled to my opinion as you are yours. I stated that I personally disagree, that was not an open invitation for this rebuttle. If you truly believe that in the grand scheme of things that no one cares, that is your opinion. I truly believe that in the grand scheme of things some people do, and I will do my best to provide my customers with the information that they seek, because in my grand scheme of things people matter just a little more then making a buck. AND in the grand scheme of it all you will run your business as you see fit and I will run mine as I see fit. I don't label my candles 100% soy, so if my candles contained a soy-derived lecithin then I would not be leading my customers to believe it was something that it is not.

We as manufactures do not have to disclose the ingredents in our products. They are secrets and I for one want to keep it that way. Yes you have to have MSDS sheets if a customer asks for it but it is written in such a way that they could not find out the exact formula. It only lists ingredents and info. about those ingredents.

I make my own soy blend and tell my customers it's a soy blend but I'm not going to disclose what the blend is.

Guys I wasn't trying to provoke any arguments. I just mentioned a little old lady was marking her candles %100 percent and I could tell there weren't. My guess is since she works with parafin in hurricanes that she tweaked her formula. I just wanted her to say honestly if it was a blend or not, not what the precise ingredients are. It was not a soft wax in those jars. It was hard.

As far as disclosing I agree with candleman. If they ask only!!! That is fair you don't have to disclose the exact amount.

Walt Disney World. Has a Soap and Bath Shop in the Marketplace shops in downtown disney. You cannot get any bigger than Walt. They specialize in Cold process soaps. They have next to their products a list of each product with the ingredients on them even down to the colors they use. They write it in a way that it doesn't state exactly the percentage they use. They are not worried if someone steals their secret formula because there are so many of the same products out there, they are just confident in their marketing. They do it because the consumer feels safer using their product. Which makes them a bonafied customer. I know that is irrelavent to candles but I personally make soy because I want to contribute the best I can to our environment. I know soy is not totally perfect and some disagree. I know those who make parafin have their arguments. But that is how I feel. I know a lot of people do feel the same way and the ones who do will appreciate them. Burning candles period is not a safe choice but at least I take that little step closer. Others choose vegetable because of the scent throw or the burn rate.

This is not politics its candle making. We are not chemists we are artists. Lets just enjoy our art and take pride in our work and give other artists a pat on the back and help them out when they need advise.

We are not chemists we are artists. Lets just enjoy our art and take pride in our work and give other artists a pat on the back and help them out when they need advise.

JMO - Not true we are to a degree. We may not use raw ingredents to make wax from scratch LOL . There are those, like myself, that don't use or wont use pre-blended waxes and use plain wax and add additives or blend waxes to create our own formula then we are to a degree chemists. I do this because I want to know what is in may wax, how it works & how it performs. I not only want to create an artistic candle but a quality that I know what's in it not something un-known in a pre-blend.