? on parcel post shipping from my home

Sndfrddy

I was just reading a thread on how you can print a parcel post shipping label from Pay-pal. That would be great and save lots of money. Ok, here's 2 questions. One is, can I still use my free priority mail boxes when shipping parcel post and printing out a parcel post label. I know I've received things UPS where suppliers have used these free boxes but wondering if I can use Parcel Post printed at home shipping label with these boxes.? Two is, when I check for going on line and sceduling a carrier pick-up through the USPS site, it says you must have at least one priority mail or overnight package with your parcel post in order to schedule a pick-up. Is there a why of getting around this? Does the pay-pal site have where you can schedule a pick-up for parcel post? This would be so cool it I could make this work. Save my customers alot on shipping. Thanks!

I can answer one for you. No, you can't use a Priority Box to ship Parcel Post. And suppliers are not supposed to be using them to ship any way other than USPS, they get mighty peeved about that. I think it's even illegal, think they are considered gov't property or something along those lines. Their newer boxes are even printed USPS Priority on the inside now to keep people from getting free boxes, turning them inside out and shipping other ways.

As for number two, not sure, but I doubt it. HTH.

I don't think you can use a Priority Box to ship a parcel paid shipment. I have turned a priority box inside out and used it for a parcel box:D

Yes you need 1 Priority paid shipment along with your Parcel Post for the USPS to pick up at your home.

I hope I answered some of your questions.:D

I do not "schedule" my pickups. If the box is small enough it goes in the mailbox with the flag up..if not I put the flag up and put a note inside that says package pickup and he comes to the door. This is what my stepdad told me to do(he is a mailman) My mailman is great about it!

If you use your free priority boxes to ship by parcel post, they will charge you the priority mail rate. Anything in a priority box will be charged at the priority rate, it is their rule. And you aren't supposed to wrap them with paper to hide the priority markings on the box to get the cheaper parcel post rate, that is considered a federal violation. So for parcel post, you would need to come up with your own box.

Also do you know the difference between priority & parcel post, besides the cost?

Priority mail - When it leaves it stays in shipment till it gets there. That's why it is called priority, it goes first.

Parcel Post - When you ship this way it does not go first. Priority goes first and if the truck is full parcel post will just sit until there is room on a truck. When it finally gets on the truck and makes it to the next point, if at that point there is more priority to fill up the truck parcel post will get left there until a truck from there has room. So if you ship parcel post your package could take 2 weeks or longer.

This is how my local post office explained it to me.

Also do you know the difference between priority & parcel post, besides the cost?

Priority mail - When it leaves it stays in shipment till it gets there. That's why it is called priority, it goes first.

Parcel Post - When you ship this way it does not go first. Priority goes first and if the truck is full parcel post will just sit until there is room on a truck. When it finally gets on the truck and makes it to the next point, if at that point there is more priority to fill up the truck parcel post will get left there until a truck from there has room. So if you ship parcel post your package could take 2 weeks or longer.

This is how my local post office explained it to me.

And if it's a large or heavy box it apparently takes even longer. I shipped a box parcel post on 3/1 and it's still MIA. :angry2:

Which is why I never ever ship anything of my own Parcel Post. I try and talk people out of using it....to me it's not worth the savings, it can take a really long time to go a very short distance. If it's something small, there's generally a minimal price difference, and if it's something big, you're probably better off going with Fed-Ex or UPS anyways. JMO.

Which is why I never ever ship anything of my own Parcel Post. I try and talk people out of using it....to me it's not worth the savings, it can take a really long time to go a very short distance. If it's something small, there's generally a minimal price difference, and if it's something big, you're probably better off going with Fed-Ex or UPS anyways. JMO.

Yep! Learned my lesson the hard way. Small packages go Priority and the big stuff has to go UPS, DHL or Fed-Ex.

When I calculate postage on the USPS site, it tells me 1 day for Priorty mail for my package and 2 days for Parcel Post. But that's not true huh?
That could be true under ideal conditions. In terms of getting it there by a certain date, I'd say priority mail is more reliable.