Testing....please, help prove me right

A friend questions why I need to test every container/scent/color combination.

She suggests that if a combo behaves similarly to the way a previously tested combo works then I shouldn't need to test more than 1 combo per container.

OK, I've even confused myself now.

Let me start over...

Say I successfully burn all my scent/wax/color/wick combos in one type of container, let's say an 8oz JJ.

Now I go on to test a different container, say a 10oz JJ. So I test my first scent & get a successful burn. She says that I then can believe that all other combos will burn similarly and not need to be further tested in this jar since I know how they performed in the other jar.

Just for the record, regardless of response from you all, I'm not taking any chances and will continue to test as I am.

I just want to say, "I told you so."

And if she's right, well then, I won't say a darn thing.

I think you have to test each combo again if changing part of the formula, such as the jars. The reason I say this is because a shorter jar might have much more success with consistency of formulas. But a larger or deeper jar acts differently the further down the jar it burns. The soot and scent throw and melt pool would be different with each combo and you might have to change wick size or FO amount.

I'd test them all again if you are changing jars and looking for the best burn you can get.

I think I understand what you are saying. If I have an 8 oz JJ with a certain wax/FO/wick/color combination, and then go to a 12 oz JJ and after testing find it needs the next size bigger wick to burn correctly, then I could safely assume that for all other wax/FO/wick/color combos in the 8 oz JJ that it would take a one size bigger wick in the 12 oz JJ.

HOWEVER, that would be the starting point for wick testing the other wax/FO/color combos in the 12 oz JJ. It might be possible that some other combo would need a two size bigger wick, or maybe a different type wick altogether. And that is complicated more if you go from a single wick jar to a jar you have to double wick.

It seems that your friend is establishing a simple causal relationship that in theory is true, but it still needs to be tested to confirm it's validity in actual practice. At the very least, it's a great starting point.

geek

Go ahead and say "I told ya so".

You are doing it the right and safe way. Test it all.

Tell your friend that she will spend more time in litigation and more money than a few jars by doing it her way and assuming things to be correct. :D

I agree.. While it is a valid starting point in the larger containers, it's not solid enough not to test every one. 19 times out of 20 it'll work. But it's that 20th one that'll cause problems. And you'll never know unless you test it.

I think you're doing it right. Explain it to your friend this way: if you make a cake for 4 people with half a cup of chocolate and 4 eggs, and you want to make that same cake for 2 people, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll use a quarter cup of chocolate and two eggs. If she knows anything about cooking she'll understand that. It's not necessarily a matter of multiplication or division. That is the art part of the art and science of candlemaking.:)

I think you're doing it right. Explain it to your friend this way: if you make a cake for 4 people with half a cup of chocolate and 4 eggs, and you want to make that same cake for 2 people, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll use a quarter cup of chocolate and two eggs. If she knows anything about cooking she'll understand that. It's not necessarily a matter of multiplication or division. That is the art part of the art and science of candlemaking.:)

Very well said.

The friend has a logical point, but I don't think she's correct.

Thats a great way to look at it!