Update: Shipping And Handling Charges By Supplier

Do handling charges need to be disclosed to you?

I had a question on shipping charges being high, they told me that some of it was a handling charge. This the first I have ever heard of it... Said they have been doing it for years?

It just says shipping costs. Not shipping and handling???:confused:

It should be disclosed to the buyer in my opinion. because if you charge $6.00 for shipping and the customer seen you only paid $5.15 they might yell about being over charged when in actuality it is handling charges. To me, the more they are told up front, the less crap ya gotta hear.

I believe the protocol is to list it as shipping and handling, there should be something stating more then shipping, though I think that some companies have just become lax on their wording, assuming everyone will just know that when they put shipping it also includes a handling charge.

That is why I am asking, because I would let my customers know that there is a handling fee....I asked one of the girls there and they said most of their customers already know there is a fee???

I didn't know how because it is not listed anywhere..

I ordered supplies and my shipping cost was $3.00 more than what UPS would charge (Did the caculations with UPS)..

This has happened several times with this company. (at least 7 or 8 time)

They have credited me due to past errors in shipping.. (NO mention of a handling fee at that time) Just today I am told they have a handling fee.

ETS... Went to update the situation and some of my post got deleted..

To sum it up they overcharged me almost $3.00 and said they will note my account..

Note your account for what? That your an easy target? I would say, how about a REFUND!

They are entitled to charge any amount they want for shipping and for handling charges. Unfortunately, there is no law that limits them to a reasonable amount.

There is a law against overcharging someone and keeping their money. Unless they have a disclaimer on their website about giving "in-store" credit for overcharges to your creditcard, then they are obligated to put the money back on your card.

I wonder how often they miscalculate shipping for all of their other customers. Chances are, if it happened to you, it's happened to others. If they do any volume of business, $.50 cents here, $.10 there starts to add up.

Maybe you should simply take your business elsewhere. Who wants to get cheated in business? I would certainly contact them to get my money bac for the overcharge. You might have them review your other orders to find out if you were overcharged. If you get an attitude from them, maybe you can suggest that you would like to make the Federal Trade Commission and/or the State Attorney General's Office aware of their policies, and perhaps the IRS would like to do an audit.

I wonder how often they miscalculate shipping for all of their other customers. Chances are, if it happened to you, it's happened to others. If they do any volume of business, $.50 cents here, $.10 there starts to add up.

Well, guess what... They did have shipping problems with other customers also before the holidays. My shipping was outrages and I called them and they said thanks for making them aware that their scales were off it was their error?

I have had them refund me at least 8 times due to shipping errors.. Then this time they did it again.. UPS shipping is $6.28 for shipping, they charged $9.19? So it is not even cents we are talking!! It is dollars off!!

Here is what I was told.. It''s the fuel surcharge, insurance and our handling fee..

I have done quite a bit of business with the company and it is really upsetting to me..

So everyone, just make sure check you shipping charges...

A lot of companies charge some kind of handling charge and yes it should be at least in the wording. For most place the fee is between $2 and $3.

Look at it this way if they don't charge the handling fee they will have to make it up else where so that means price increase. They do have to pay for the boxes and packing materials plus an employee to pack it for you. But you really should have been told up front that there was a handling charge.

Many have the handling built into shipping some are more upfront about it. There's one I wouldn't deal with due to the outrageous charges to Canada.......$17.10US USPS for 2- 4 ounce bottle, meanwhile I can order two from another supplier and they charge me $6.00US at the most. Talk about a profit.

SP

A lot of companies charge some kind of handling charge and yes it should be at least in the wording. For most place the fee is between $2 and $3.

Which is fine if they make you aware of this before ordering. But they did not.. I have been ording from them for 2 years now and this is the first I have heard of it.

This company's fee is $1.00 per box.. Still overchaged me 1.91!!

I have never had a handling charge from any of the other suppliers I order from. (hmm that I know of)

What they charge for shipping is what UPS charges them..

[quoute=Vicky_CO]Look at it this way if they don't charge the handling fee they will have to make it up else where so that means price increase. They do have to pay for the boxes and packing materials plus an employee to pack it for you.

I would rather know what I am paying up front, even it means slightly higher prices, then have to wonder what shipping and handling charges are each time I order.

Saltbox, you're right. You shouldn't do business with a company that would gouge you like that.

It's not uncommon for companies to upcharge on shipping a little bit, but that is outrageous.

I would much rather see products with a little higher prices and charge actual shipping, than to see super low prices and inflated shipping. All that does is create dissatisfaction among customers and lose repeat business.

What does it say about a company's products if what they make the most money off of is their shipping?

OK here are some shipping charges and how they fluctuate.

and I know UPS did not change their pricing this much..

4lbs oil $7.32

3lbs oil $12.03:shocked2:

3lbs oil $12.38

4lbs oil $10.68

4lbs oil $9.97

4lbs oil $9.19

5lbs oil and pouring pots $11.19

Shipping prices are all over the board.. These are just some..

Shipping to me for 4lbs of oil should be $6.28 ... That is one heck of a handling charge I am getting!!

Don't forget if it's coming from a different place, there's different shipping zones and prices.

And for shipping 2 4 oz bottles, well. UPS has a minimum charge. One small box takes just as much effort on their part as one large box.

On my website, I incorporated my handling fees into my prices just to avoid any confusion. If the cart overcharges their shipping, I refund. If it's under - I eat the difference and adjust the website so it won't happen again. It's never been more than 1 buck off so far.

Maybe you can switch to Soaper's Choice .

http://www.soaperschoice.com/cgi-soaperschoice/Web_store/web_store.cgi?query_price_low_range=0&cart_id=

Since they have a charge with shipping zones, you can find out exactly how much your shipping will be. You might have to order a little more than you normally would, but they do have some good prices, and in the end it will probably be worth it to you.

http://www.soaperschoice.com/vegetableoils/shipping_zone_chart.html

$10,000 for a shipping calculator?! I have heard of people here having a link to UPS / USPS so that their shopping cart can calculate shipping in real time, and I wasn't aware they had to pay anything for it - it was just part of the package deal with whatever website developer they were using.