Tart warmers- bulb vs. heating element? help please

Ok- I am having a talk with a customer/friend who is look at getting a tart warmer. I have run into something that I am confused about.

I thought that electric tart warmers used a bulb as their heat source. These bulbs have different heat temps. depending on their wattage.

But- she found a sight that said, don't get an electric warmer that uses a bulb, but rather get one that uses a heating element.

Does anyone know about this? What is the difference?

Hi!

I personally will only use the electric tart warmers with the heating elements. I don't want to worry about replacing

light bulbs and such (and I don't like the tea light warmers because I like to leave my warmer on without worrying about the open flame of a tea light). This is the one I have in my kitchen:

DelightfulDaisyWarmer.jpg

Supposedly, mine will automatically shut off if it gets to hot (which has never happened, knock on wood :) I'm not sure if one gets hotter than the other. I just like the non-bulb type. HTH :)

D

I much prefer the ones with the heating plates. I don't like the bulbs for a couple of reasons. One, sometimes they don't melt the wax all the way. Two, I don't wanna have to worry about selling replacement bulbs.

I get my burners from www.levinegifts.com

The Levine burners with the bulb are 25 watts, the heating plate are 20 watts. You said the bulbs don't melt it all the way - does the 20 watt heating plate melt it better?

I use the Waxcessories ceramic and the Irvin's Punched Tin bulb warmers and they the best. Use either a 25 or 40 watt bulb and melt the wax I use just fine. I have the Jackle warmers too and they are not quite as hot but still do the job. All are beautiful and I think it depends on the design or style you like for each room. Most of my customers have more than one. Get both.

Just a caution on the electric burners: If you are making tarts with a high melt point, the smaller watt bulbs do not work, and higher watt bulbs will burn the surface it's sitting on. You will not get the expected hot throw from your tarts. Check your melt temp on the soy wax you are using...if it is high, especially in the 165-170 range...don't even waste your time with the electric burners. Take a temp reading on the melt pool of the tart once it is melted in the electric burner to be sure that it is compatible with your wax.

Too hot will cause that smokey/steamy thing - this means that it is going to burn off your FO too fast and it will not last very long.

I just finished a month-long experiment on this. A friend was using a blend to make tarts...over 300 of them, and couldn't get a scent throw on the electric burners, and making a tea light which was compatible with her tarts was a very long and tedious process, and frustrating. 300 is a lot of time, money and product to lose.

You would be shocked at what I have discovered on the varying heat temps of different burners and tea lights.

Check your temps.

Good wishes to you.

Fern-Marie