Customer Service...a dead art?

Mei-Mei

I'm a little irritated. My fiance and I went to the mall and lo-and-behold they had a brand new candle store! I could tell by the sign that the chandler was trying to expand a home business, and that it wasn't a big professional outfit. The sign said, 'triple-scented, hand poured candles' but I forgave the triple-scented part because I wanted to talk candles.:wink2:

The store was very small, about the size of a large booth at a craft show. I dragged my fiance in. There were two ladies behind the counter. The walls were lined with candles in the country prim style. There was one candle for smell testing on a little table towards the front (the inside of the candle was black with soot, btw).

When we walked in the two ladies glanced at us and never said one word. We were about five feet from them. They never said, "Hi," "Can I help you," "What's your favorite scent." Nothing! Another customer came into the shop. The ladies continued to speak to each other, but never greeted the other customer.

Well, both myself and the other customer walked out without making a single purchase. I began to think how many sales have been lost by not giving a friendly nod and smile to a customer. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that's important anymore.

Just wanted to share. Maybe the ladies will read this post and change their sales tactics!:wink2:

Sounds like maybe they should read this board to improve on that black soot ;)

Yes, CS is a dying art, but it's an art to learn and get better at. It's a ticker tap parade here when I do business with a company that is top notch in this area.

Yes. Customer Service has died. I managed a convenience store for many years and it was sometimes difficult to be nice. But. HELLO,that was my job!! I alway told my employees the customers wrote their paychecks.

Nothing peeves me more than an employee acting like you are a bother.

I can't imagine not greeting a potential customer! Even when I do craft shows, if someone steps into my booth the first thing I do is greet them, smile, and ask them if there is anything I can help them with!

Yes alot of stores I go in today don't have good CS. To bad it's ther loss of $$$.

I own a store and always reconize my customers by saying hello and asking them can I help you but 99% of the time they would reply no thank you just looking. So now I ask them what scent would you like to try today. That way their more likely to start a conversation.

I dont get it....WHY invest in a store front and all, when you dont even want to sell the stuff. I always greet everyone. I guess they thought their funky sooty untested candles were going to sell themselves :tiptoe:

What "people who ignore candle browsers" need to invest in is a candle "automat" in which their candles reside behind little glass doors. The customer can peruse the display, select their choice, and swipe their credit card to release the door so the candle can be removed! :D

It doesn't cost the employees/owners anything to give a welcoming glance to people entering the store front and greet them... Why be in retail at all if you don't like contact with people?

I would have walked out too!

Yes alot of stores I go in today don't have good CS. To bad it's ther loss of $$$.

I own a store and always reconize my customers by saying hello and asking them can I help you but 99% of the time they would reply no thank you just looking. So now I ask them what scent would you like to try today. That way their more likely to start a conversation.

That is great business sense. One of the first things I was taught when selling was never say may I help you to a customer. That gives them the choice of saying yes or no and 99% of the time they will say no...I'm just looking. You want to get them into a conversation so don't ask questions where they can give a yes or no answer. I don't have a store but when I do shows I always tell booth browsers feel free to open the containers and sniff to their hearts content. I pour in cracker jars and most people keep turning the lid not knowing there is a fitment inside the lid and that they can just pull the lid off. That gives me the opportunity to "help" them and then ask them what fragrances they like etc. I've found that the majority of people do like to talk with you and leaving them alone usually ends up with them walking away. If they've entered your booth or your store then you know they must like/burn candles so ignoring them is your loss and someone elses gain.

Maggie