Question about Sugar Scrubs....

Ashlie K

I cant remember who but someone told me that a Diabetic wasnt allowed or shouldnt use Suagr Scrubs. For those of you that sell this, is there any truth to it?

I have tried researching and come up with zilch.

Any help, advice, guiding me into the right direction is greatly appreciated.

I'm diabetic and soon as I get my oils from the co-op I'll be making the sugar scrub, and I will be testing it. I'm not worried at all, but if someone has problems with thier feet, or they don't have thier doctor checking them every 3 months, there could be cause for concern.

Check this out:

http://www.soapdishforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24983&hl=diabetic

Ashlie, I'm a diabetic as well. I checked with my MD and he said that it was perfectly fine to use sugar scrubs. I specifically asked if it could in any way cause any problems or elevate blood sugars and he said NO!!!!!!! LOL, then he asked which scrub I used. I told him mine....he wants me to bring him a sample. He loves sugar scrubs, go figure.

ETA: I have to agree with Gerrie on problems with feet. Diabetics have prolonged healing times of wounds/cuts.

Thank you Gerrie, I wasnt quite sure what the reasoning was, which I can totally agree NOW.

So I guess I better slap a special label for diabetics.

Thanks again

I'm diabetic and soon as I get my oils from the co-op I'll be making the sugar scrub, and I will be testing it. I'm not worried at all, but if someone has problems with thier feet, or they don't have thier doctor checking them every 3 months, there could be cause for concern.

Check this out:

http://www.soapdishforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24983&hl=diabetic

Ashlie, I'm a diabetic as well. I checked with my MD and he said that it was perfectly fine to use sugar scrubs. I specifically asked if it could in any way cause any problems or elevate blood sugars and he said NO!!!!!!! LOL, then he asked which scrub I used. I told him mine....he wants me to bring him a sample. He loves sugar scrubs, go figure.
Thanks Sherie. Is it safe to say that he will be a customer of yours for the sugar scrubs? LOL

it isn't that they aren't allowed...but there has to be some discretion depending on the person. many things can be going on that would make using a sugar scrub an ill-advised choice for someone with diabetes. one of the main complication of D is nueropathy (sp) and that can manifest itself as a "pins and needles" pain or loss in sensation--either of those is a bad thing to begin with, but when you add in a propensity for ulceration due to circulation issues you're opening a big 'ol can of worms.

I have a child with T1 D (this is the autoimmune type, body no longer produces insulin) and I have to be very careful with him using any possibly aggrevating types of soaps/lotions because he is more suceptible to infections, especially on feet and hands (extremities). this is not to say that the lotion itself or soap would cause an infection, but a nasty rash can easily have him scratching til raw and then the infection sets in and is a bugger to get rid of. haven't had it happen yet--but that's the warnings that docs tell you.

other than those precautions--I see nothing that would actually prevent a person with D from using a scrub, it's more about the individual and how aware they are of their own body. I highly doubt that any of the sugar in a scrub is enough to affect BG levels even if a small amount is absobed into the skin. HTH

I have to agree with amieelynne on this. Not that I make sugar scrubs, but my DH is type 1 diabetic. The concern is more any small scratches or wounds especially on the legs & feet. Not that it's NOT OK, certainly the "sugar" in the scrub is not going to elevate there sugar levels unless they eat it. (ewww) It's more they just have to watch any small wounds especially on the legs & feet can lead to something very serious.

hth,

Karen

Yup, what everyone else said.

Sherie, you are a diabetic? Me too, Type 1 for 21 years now.

I was always wondering why I couldn't use scrubby things on my feet and found out it is to prevent infection. In other words, if you use one of those callous removers on your feet and go to far you can cause your skin to bleed and then potentially get infected and so forth. Normal people have strong immune systems and things wouldn't get out of hand more than likely. With diabetics it's a whole different thing. Plus, if you do have diabetic neuropathy then you may not feel how hard you are scratching with the scrub and injure the skin.

I should have said this before--like my previous post wasn't long enough huh? lol Ashley, if you do want to add to your warning label something for people with D I would simply state something like "as with any skin care product, individuals with diabetes should consult their doctor if there are any questions as to the safety of using these types of products in general"

or something like that--lay the need for responsibility squarely on them. that way IF someone does use this product and they have an adverse reaction or infection that is due to complications of D they can not say it is in fact due to your product. I think that would cover your butt legally.