Wick plugs

Okay I have major leakage with pillars even if I use the screws and the putty. Does anyone know how well the wickpins work. I heard about the magnets too. Or the jiffy wicks. I dont want to even think about buying any if they don't work.

Thanks everyone!

I don't have a problem with the wick pins. Then again I don't have a problem with the others. :tiptoe: Are you putting putty around the threads of the screw before you put it in? Do that and then cover the head of the screw with about nickel or little larger size piece of putty and you shouldn't have leaks.

HTH

Chris

Okay I have major leakage with pillars even if I use the screws and the putty. Does anyone know how well the wickpins work. I heard about the magnets too. Or the jiffy wicks. I dont want to even think about buying any if they don't work.

Thanks everyone!

I was using the screws that came with the molds. I use the putty, about a quarter size then spread it out. It just melts from the heat of the mold. I even put a water bath underneath to suspend the wax (the mold is the round with the elevated square bottom)

My husband owns a HVAC company. He says they make a putty in his industry for sheet metal that is heat resistant. I will try his approach. If not I imagine he has other tricks up his sleeve. I just always run across those rubber pins and was wondering if they stop leakage?

How hot are you pouring your wax? I haven't had the opportunity to see putty melt like that. The putty your husband has is probably going to do the trick as it's likely going to be higher quality than what came with the mold. Even if you switch to wick pins you're still going to need putty to prevent them leaking.

Hope the new stuff works for you. Let me know.

It just melts from the heat of the mold. I even put a water bath underneath to suspend the wax (the mold is the round with the elevated square bottom)

I use the MC pillar blend the directions say to pour it at 160. That temp works beautiful for the candle but makes my molds really hot. I have heard of the metal tape. I am going to ask my husband to get me some.

I get the clay you can bake from walmart in the craft area, then I use the metal tape one top of that. The clay is very heat resistant. There are two different weights of the aluminum tape. I prefer the heavier weight.

This has been a real life saver. I used to get leaks with everything else. Occasionally the molds will leak a little still if I don't clean the tops very well. But nothing like before. I could have half the wax on my counter before.

Also try cleaning the tops really well before you tape them up. Use a goo-gone type of cleaner to take off wax and tape residue. Then follow with rubbing alcohol.

Normally I don't have to be this particular with the soy pillars but palm has to be poured so hot and it leaks much easier.