? for those who use hemp oil

soulshine

I am testing recipes out trying to find my "golden" basic soap... I have made 2 batches with hemp oil that turned out AMAZING! I tried the last one after just one week of cure <couldn't wait:tongue2: > And it lathered like crazy! better than some of my bars after a couple of months. So I think I'm hooked on this oil... but it's kinda pricey. I've used it at about 16% in both batches, because I had 2 16 oz bottles I was trying to use up B4 they went bad.... So for those of you who use hemp oil what % do you normally use? I searched on this site and found most recipes using hemp to be at 10%. Is this effective? Can you get away with less and still get the same amazing results? I know I'll have to test and find out. I just thought I would ask the experts before I started using up my last 16 oz of hemp...

And on a slightly different note... Do people "frown" on your usage of hemp oil? (besides the hippies and earth lovers) Thanks for reading, and for any advice you might give!

I make one recipe with hempseed oil and use it at 20%. This is a "specialty" bar for me and makes a lightweight, very lathery bar. I've tried it at less % in other recipes and it didn't make enough of a difference to justify adding it. IMO hempseed is best used when it is a majority oil in a recipe.

I've never heard of anyone disapproving of hemp seed oil in B&B.

thanks for your replys ladies! I think I'm going to try 8% and see how that goes. I make 100 oz recipes, so I want to try 8% so I only have to use half the bottle. If I think it needs to be upped, I can shrink the batch size a little to compensate.

I posted a few times about finding the same answer before.......about hemp seed oil. I used 25% and it was fine.......I kept getting advice to use less than 10%. Hemp Seed Oil seems to go rancid quickly. I use rosemary essential oil as a natural preservative.

The only batch of soap I ever had to throw out was a hemp seed oil Oatmeal Milk and Honey batch. Oh the smell was hidious! (And it was unfragranced, uncolored!)

Just my tidbit of info to tell you..........

I am testing recipes out trying to find my "golden" basic soap... I have made 2 batches with hemp oil that turned out AMAZING! I tried the last one after just one week of cure <couldn't wait:tongue2: > And it lathered like crazy! better than some of my bars after a couple of months. So I think I'm hooked on this oil... but it's kinda pricey. I've used it at about 16% in both batches, because I had 2 16 oz bottles I was trying to use up B4 they went bad.... So for those of you who use hemp oil what % do you normally use? I searched on this site and found most recipes using hemp to be at 10%. Is this effective? Can you get away with less and still get the same amazing results? I know I'll have to test and find out. I just thought I would ask the experts before I started using up my last 16 oz of hemp...

And on a slightly different note... Do people "frown" on your usage of hemp oil? (besides the hippies and earth lovers) Thanks for reading, and for any advice you might give!

SS, have you thought of plugging in your formula into www.soapcalc.com, this way, you can try to keep the same properties but play with the numbers to get a less expensive bar of soap? That site is a WEALTH of information! :)

I think I used it at 15% (I need to verify that for sure) in my Honey, Hops, Hemp & Egg soap and it was absolutely fabulous. Tons of lather, smooth/silky and my skin felt soooooo awesome when I got out of the shower. I didn't need lotion at all. Love, love, love Hemp Oil!!!!!!!

Thanks for the continued replies! the more the merrier! I use the soapmaker program for my recipe formulation, and was actually trying to figure out the lowest amount of hemp oil I could use and still get those amazing benefits. And it's kinda hard to tell just from the numbers what 2% changes, depending on what you sub that % with. Since the hemp oil goes bad so quick, and I can't get it locally (& it's not cheap), I'm trying to minimize the % I will use in the recipes. I just put a batch to bed with 7.9 % hemp oil. (I know it's a weird number, I was trying to only use 8 oz so i'd have the other half of my bottle to play with;) ) I'll update ya'll when I can use it. And of course I'll post pics once it's cut:laugh2: