Coconut Soap ?

adefrier

Hi all,

I made a 100% coconut oil soap about a week and a half ago by request of my husband. He works with salt water all day and is looking for something that will lather in salt water. We did some reading and found that 100% coconut oil will produce a soap that will later in salt water. Has anyone tried this? How well does it work?

Also, I made the soap with 100% coconut oil, no color or other additives other than FO at 1oz per pound. When I added the FO the soap turned a nice peachy color and hardened up nicely within about a day after pouring into my mold. But now a week and a half later it is turning a strange rust color all along the edges and now starting on the top and sides. It still looks OK and I can live with it but it isnt nearly as pretty as when it first hardened. Does anyone know if this discoloration will continue throughout the entire soap or what is causing it?

Thanks

Aaaahhh--

makes sense.

Even after all the reading Ive done I did not put two and two together. I remember now that the vanilla FOs do have this effect on soap and though I do not have the bottle in front of me at the moment I am almost positve that it was vanilla hazelnut.

So it will eventually turn the same color throughout?

That works. Will have to try a different fragrance next time though because it sure was pretty out of the mold.

What do people have to say about 100% coconut soap? Ive heard that it can be drying but will it lather well in salt water?

WHen making a 100% coconut oil soap, superfat between 15 to 18%. This way the soap will not be drying.

Adding Fo's and some cheap Eo's will discolour coconut soap a pinky/ivory colour. I have found though that it doesn't effect the over all quality of the soap.

Leave to dry for a good 8 weeks at least, and these are a great hard, lathering soap.

It never ceases to amaze me how a normal bar of soap dies in salt water, but this soap works equally well in either salt of normal tap water.

Tracey

Well, the whole concept of the "salt bar" that many folks make is that the high amount of coconut oil (50-60%) and salt mixed together will make a lathery and moisturizing bar. I imagine if you put an all coconut oil bar in salt water, it would have a similar reaction. I've made salt bars, and they lather up a storm.