16 Hour Testing

I tested some candles that I made the following day and they sweated terribly. They started to overflow..... two different wick sizes....I waited until today and tried again....several days later and there is a huge difference. It was an oil that didn't mix well to start with, but I was surprised at how it burned today. Like a regular candle. Donita

I think it's generally better to wait a while if you can. How much difference it could make is speculative. Maybe not much and it will vary with different kinds of waxes, but I think Donita's experience is illustrative.

The crystal structure of the wax continues to change even after the candle is set up. For a paraffin pillar that could easily take a couple of days or more. I don't know about container waxes. Soy waxes keep changing for a long time after they're poured. The best guess about the value of "curing" is that it has something to do with this.

I think people on CT have written about the experience of having the wicking of soy candles be off after a couple months storage. The consensus seems to be that you can wick test soy after a couple of days, but so much the better if you can wait and maybe even do some longer-term testing of your wax to be sure.