Uh oh.....

slow-burn

ok, I am a complete dumb azz icon_redface.gif I made a fairly large batch of soap last nite, and guess what? I only added my melted hard oils, and completely forgot to add a ton of my soft oils. I haven't even messed with it or unmolded it yet, but I know that baby is gonna be super lye heavy. I added all the water that recipe called for, but forgot those other freaking oils. Good thing I drove bus today, cuz I was thinking as I was driving, cuz I just knew that I was forgetting something, lol!

So I am wondering if this can be saved ok? Can I rebatch and just add my soft oils to it? How exactly do I go about doing it? I don't have a way to shred unless I do it by hand, but since it is still real fresh, could I just cube it? And if so, I am kinda confused on the whole rebatch thing. Is it just heat and cook?

And the next question is that I *thought* that I was being smart and was testing some fo's bunny style. Well a few of them got really funky. Do you think it was cuz of the missing oils? Or would they get funky regardless? Guess I can retest them, but was wondering if anyone had any input. Except for my being a dummy cuz I already know that......Just what I get for trying to get stuff done at the last minute to take to NY with me. Oh well.....they can go without, lol!

I've heard that adding missing oils after can work, so give it a shot! Be forwarned though, lye heavy soap sets up hard super fast. Wear gloves and glasses.

And yes, test those fo's again - with the next batch, not this one.

Oh girl.. You sure know how to keep everyone laughing! Hugs and Kisses!

Are you telling me that I am funny? LOL Here I thought I would be a learning experience for what NOT to do when soaping. Like Don't forget the fragrance, don't use soapy water, don't forget all your oils, and the list sure keeps growing. I am totally positive that someone is actually learning NOT to make the same dumb mistakes that I have. Hmmmmm, seems odd that I didn't learn from anyone else's though doesnt' it?

So how exactly do I go about doing this? Chop it up, throw it all in a crock pot or microwave, add the missing oils, and cook for how long? How do I know when it is done? Will I have to add more fragrance? And lordy, I will just bet that I actually got a good swirl, and now I have to chuck it away, LOL!

Heather,

I am by no means an expert here but I did the same thing once so I know how you feel. I just put the soap in my food processor and ground it up. I then put the ground up soap into my crock pot with the missing butters and let it cook. I always rebatch in my crockpot so I figured I would give it a try and it worked. My soap came out ugly as sin but was still very gentle and mild. Just to be safe, I didn't sell it but gave it to friends and family. All said it was a wonderful soap.

I am not a rebatch expert!

I've done 2 batches. I added alot more water than what most people use. I used several ounces instead of a spritz. It made the soap go back to a "medium trace" consistancy. Then I molded it. It came out just fine but needed a little extra time to cure and remove the extra water.

Edited to say that I used a cheese grater and it went pretty fast. Make sure you wear gloves, that stuff is really gonna be lye heavy.