I want to do more

Right now I only make containers, tarts etc. I have only experimented with J50 and I love it. But I want to try other things. This is only a hobby for me with 6 kids I just don't feel like I have time to sell anything or keep up with orders etc. So my question is this, If votives are meant to be burned in a container why can't they be made from container wax?

Also when I decide to experiment with votives would it be best to get a kit or just order the wax? I personally don't burn votives and would really just like to jump right in to pillars but I am afraid I would be out of my league. What are your opinions? I want to experiment with pillars because I actually buy alot of unscented pillars just to burn for looks and not scent. Those of you who have posted pics of your pillars in the gallery are a real inspiration.

Any advice?

To answer your question on votives, you could make them out of container wax if you were to wick a votive jar and pour into the jar and leave it that way (basically a mini container). Otherwise, you need votive wax because it will release from the mold and stay firm.

Haven't done a lot of pillars, can't help you there.

Good for you, mom of 6! I am a mom of 3 and babysit my niece, so it is hard for me to find the time as well. Many late nights.

It's funny how we can be unsure about trying new things. I guess it's all what you started with. I started with pillars and I am uncertain about trying tarts and containers. The trial and error/ testing period can be tiresome. But pillars are beautiful and fun to make. Everytime you take one out of the mold, it's like Christmas morning. (Well, almost every time - lol!) I say go for it and try it. Since you are not planning on selling them, you can just burn them and perfect the art as you go.

SalGal

I've just got to say that I feel pillars are easier than votives! I'm trying to figure out votives right now...can't get the right wick no matter what!

My biggest challenge in pillars was figuring out a way to keep the molds from leaking. After that, it was great. I think you should just go ahead and try them. I find them a lot of fun to do. Good luck!