Should I go to this market?

Hello everybody!

There is a flea market that just opened nearby to where I live. It opened about 6 weeks ago, and it seems to be booming because it is so new. Now, I sell candles, incense, and bath salts and things like that (no soap yet) but I went there last weekend and saw about 8 other soy candle booths inside! I swear, the market is saturated here in Ohio, I am having a hard time.

Anyways, I talked to some dealers there, and they say that they are having wonderful sales and doing great and everything. And I believe them, too. It has been very busy because it is so new, but I expect it to die down after a few months when it is not so new. So, if I want to go there, now would be the best time.

Ok, to get a booth inside, I have to reserve it for a month, I can't just set up for one day or weekend. The thing is, I want to try it, but I am afraid that I might not do good, and then I will have wasted a whole month's rent! What should I do?

Oh...well, the market is only open on the weekends, it is $20 per day. I was just breaking it down.

Yeah, I was thinking I should just do it too, it is just that I don't really have a lot of money right now, lol...I think I will do it, it really isn't a bad price, just a lot for me to pay up front right now, you know? Especially since I have no idea of how I will sell. But I guess I can at least pull in my booth rent, lol. Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I would do it. Look at it as advertising. Give out your business card to everyone who seems the least bit interested. If you have a site print up coupons for a % off their first order. I found 1000 business cards for $8 at Sam's Club and I have printed up a bunch of them that I keep with me and hand out like candy. If you can pick your spot - try to get near an exit and let ppl know that you will hold their purchase until they are ready to leave. Have a sign to that effect. I know with the large craft shows this really helps because ppl do not want to carry candles around with them.

HTh,

That is a great idea to offer to hold the purchases until they leave! :) How do you keep track of everything? Just write their name on it or something?

Maybe get a receipt book that lets you have carbon copies and staple a copy of their receipt onto their bag - whoever shows you the original receipt that matches gets the bag