I'm so hating Sea Themes right now!!

pixie*dust

Not only because they are such a pain in my rear to do in the first place, but mainly because I do them sooo badly.

I made one yesterday, I forgot to strip off the coating on the wicks! Too many bubbles and now the white from the coating. Sooo, I popped it in the oven... thinking that by some miracle, the bubbles would disappear and maybe, just maybe the coating would sort of blend in. I forgot I had the candle in the oven... DH, comes down as I'am shrink wrapping some soaps... did you get that candle out of the oven... OMGolly!!! I forgot! Grab it out of the oven, looks wonderful and clear.. cept for the fish that are all sunk to the bottom.. so grab them out, wait for it to cool, get them back in finally.. today... still have the white thing going on.. and still too many bubbles (cause my 1 lil fish, I kept trying to insert and insert, when I thought the time was right, well not for him, he kept wanting to sink).

Ughhhh, very frustrating!

pix

sea1.jpg

Cheryl,

I had heard of using fishing string and the dental floss. Though I must admit, I'm having a stoopid moment, if you tie the floss or string round the loop to get it stay attached to the fish, then once the gel has cooled, how will you be able to pull it out without pulling the fish up and out as well. I had even thought that if I attach the string to the fish with a dab of gel, then putting that in.. but then I was thinking the gel is going to still be warm, it will melt the string right off the fish.. then I'd be stuck yet again trying to place the fish in there..

Confused..lol I'am

pix

i put the dental floss in a "U" shape and hang the fish by their side fins, and tape the floss to the side of the container as cathy does. then, just before the gel is completely set, i pull the floss out. but remember, i am pouring in layers also, so it is kind of a double set up............is that clear as mud?

that is how i got my sharks to circle the treasure chest in one candle and the eagle mid flight in another......(www.picturetrail.com/candleheart48) i got the link fixed for those who had tried it unsuccessfully the last time i posted.

hth,

cheryl

It sounds like you were having a really bad day. I am new to gel candlemaking to everytime I make one, I find I'm in for a real surprise (sometimes good, a lot of times not) Imagine my surprise when I looked at my candles and saw all this white stuff from the coated wicks. Back to the drawing board! I just read about self-trimming wicks - do you know anything about them. Oh- I put all my self-coated wicks in the oven to melt the wax -that'll teach em.

Gosh I have just the opposite problem. Seascapes are all I want to do. I love them. :D The first gel candle I did was just straight gel, colored, in a roly. Then the next one was a seascape and I never looked back.:grin2:

I know your pain on the bubbles though. Then again, bubbles make the light bounce and dance around. They can be a good thing. :grin2:

I remember your "toxic" lake candle jazzbo, that was neat. :laugh2:

Julie aka jwoodcrafts

• 2 weeks later...

I do alot of seascapes. Try pouring in layers. Then as you're getting closer to the top, use a pr. of tongs (small ones something like a dentist would use, mine came with my serger) pick up a glass fish and heat it with your heat gun and then insert about half of the fish in the gel. Then pour your next layer and do same. Works great! :) (I make the tea light insert on the top.)