I am desperate for hot throw... anyone can help me?

I just started trying to make scented soy container candles. Some people say 150 is the right temperature, and some say 180. Some say mix and let it sit and then pour, others say pour right away. All I know is that I have done it in every single temperature and I am not getting the results one would hope as far as hot throw. First, the fragrance takes too long before it starts to dissipate into the air. Secondly, when it burns the trow is very wimpy. I was successful one time when the throw was amazing, and I had aded the fragrance at 180, but after I tried to repeat it, and it just never was the same. Is there anyone out there that can give me one little hint about what is the right temp to add the fragrance; how long to mix the frangrance; when to pour????

Thanks,

Karen

You need to check what the manufacturer suggests cause I think different brands vary in temperature. I use the soy wax from MC and they specifically state to add fo at 175. What type wax and where are you getting your fo and what kind. How is your melt pool and burn? And how long are you letting them cure? I have got fo that knock you out and then some of them nothing to speak of.

I buy my soy was for containers from CandleScience. They say that to add the fragrance at 150, but I compared to adding at 180, and even the cold throw was not good at 150. I have tested these candles after 3 curing for 3 days, and even though there is a little scent, it does not fill the room. I have tried mixing the fragrance for 2 min after adding it to see if it would make a difference, but nothing. I was reading about vybar 260, would you recomend adding that?

Karen

O.k. we need a bit more info.

Where did you get your oils? What wick are you using?

How big is your testing room compared to the jar size......meaning if you are testing in a 1000sq open area with a 4 oz container....the chances are the scent will get lost in such a big area.

Your oils might not be compatible with the wax. The oil might be very light scent....just the type of that it is.

You must follow the manufacturers suggestion when adding in your fragrance oils.

Saltbox Pantry:)

Hi,

Which soy are you using? Sometimes even if the FO is added at the right temp you still will not get a good hot throw because the FO used is one that will not throw well in the wax you are using. I use soy and have tested many with a great throw and also have tested several duds. It can get discouraging at times but if you search for the right oils for your soy wax, you should find many that will throw great. There are some oils that are meant to be really strong and there are some that meant to be on a ligher side (softer scent). What percent of FO did you use in your wax? I have found that I get the best results in my soy anywhere between 8-9 percent and I can sometimes use less than that (6 or 7 percent) with some oils. Some people here can use 5% percent and still get a good throw. It depends on the oil and how well it works with the wax. It also depends on the person -- what may be a great throw to one person may not to the other. Search out some more oils and test, test and test some more. Don't give up. If you work hard, you will find the right combination and find the right techniques to produce a great smelling candle! :)

P.S. Also, the proper wick will make a big difference too. Finding the right wick for the FO chosen with the wax you use is very important. Also, are you single or double wicking? How big are your containers? The size of the meltpool can make a difference too. I find that double wicking gives off a better scent throw, but this is just my opinion based on my experience.

I wanted to add that it can vary regarding temperature to add FO and when to pour -- depends on the wax. I add my FO between 170 - 175 and pour at 130. But there are some soys that you have to pour lower than 130 in order to achieve nice tops. Some soys you can heat up higher than others too. I used to add FO at 165 but decided to add higher to make sure the oil blends in well with the wax. I stir for a full minute at first when I add the FO and then I stir on and off while the wax is cooling before pouring. :)

O.k. I was just on Candle Science and I notice they have 3 soy waxes. Which one of the 3 soy wax are you using. If you are using El SOy mill....I tell you right now the problem is when you are adding the oil. ........ask me why I know? Because this is the wax I use and have been using for 9 months and that was my problem when I first started using it.:D

Like yourself I was reading boards and taking advise to add my oils at a cooler temp....cannot be done with this wax. I add my FO in at 150 and stir well. Pour into the containers at around 100 for smooth tops.

I use HTP for my wicks. You also need to find the proper size for your container and hopefully you are buying quality oils.

Hope this helps,

Saltbox Pantry

I also use EL soy wax not the Mill but the old 100% soy. I always add at 175-180 and stir gently for 2-3mins. Then I cool and pour slushy. Some oils do need a little extra cure time and like other have said some just will not throw in this wax no matter what. Wicking is the other issue...once I found the perfect wicks for my wax I did get some better throws as well.

HTH :D

Hi, I use the container blend from Candle Science, it is the Eco Soya blend. The suggest to add fragrance at 150 and pour at 125. I even bought their Lavender fragrance which they said has good throw. I followed their guidelines exactly and still week throw. This is what I do... I heat up the wax inside a pot that is inside another one with boiling water. When the wax melts to just over 150, I took it out and and waited until it was exactly 150 to add the fragrance. I put 11% fragrance. Mix for 2 min and then poured into tin containers. I have tested the wicks and choose ones that melt the wax enough to create a good pool, but not too deep. So what kills me, is that I follow instuctions that Candle Science gives me exactly, and the hot throw is not there. I bought quality fragrances. Do you have a supplier of soy wax that seems to work better over all? Should I do tests with different soy waxes?

Are you using the EcoSoya Advanced blend by any chance? If you are then this may be your problem. When I used this wax I noticed that some scents had very good throw in it but there were also, unfortunately, quite a few that had very little throw. This is the reason - along with some seepage problems - that I stopped using this wax. What is the diameter of the container you're using? Wider melt pool = greater scent throw. Also, 11% fragrance is quite a bit and I've heard that using too much scent can actually work against you. I usually use between 6% and 9% depending on the fragrance and add it around 175. If you can afford it, I'd suggest trying a couple different waxes to see what works best for you. All soy waxes are not created equal ;)

Hi, I use the container blend from Candle Science, it is the Eco Soya blend. The suggest to add fragrance at 150 and pour at 125. I even bought their Lavender fragrance which they said has good throw. I followed their guidelines exactly and still week throw. This is what I do... I heat up the wax inside a pot that is inside another one with boiling water. When the wax melts to just over 150, I took it out and and waited until it was exactly 150 to add the fragrance. I put 11% fragrance. Mix for 2 min and then poured into tin containers. I have tested the wicks and choose ones that melt the wax enough to create a good pool, but not too deep. So what kills me, is that I follow instuctions that Candle Science gives me exactly, and the hot throw is not there. I bought quality fragrances. Do you have a supplier of soy wax that seems to work better over all? Should I do tests with different soy waxes?

Hi Deco,

I have only tested the Eco Soya 135 and I am not sure which one you are using. I found that the Eco Soya 135 did not have quite as good of a throw as the one I use (Calsoy CB-3) but then again I did not test it long and sometimes you need to test several oils to know for sure on the scent throw. It could be that the Lavender FO that you got does not throw well in the soy you chose. Maybe they tested that Lavender in one of the other waxes. I have tested some Lavender scents that some said had a great throw in their soy but was not real great in the soy I use. 11% is pretty high but not sure if that would be the problem. Maybe you can try to use 9% and see what happens. But you should use the same scent to know if that was the problem. Were your flames healthly looking? Sounds like they probably were since you said that your meltpool was good. I bet if you try several other oils you will find some that will throw great. You could also try some other soys so you can pick the one that you feel performs the best. Keep us posted. :)