help from hurricanes experts!

cybersix

Hi, I made another hurricane with a new paraffin I bought.

(you can see it in the pic on the right).

This paraffin has a MP of 132-138. After two hours of double boyler it hasn't melt, I called the supplier (who has a candle company) and told me to melt it on direct heat.

I noticed how white was this paraffin compared to the one I used before (you can see it in the pic on the left). Then I added Micro 180, the temp. reached by the wax was about 230*.

I let it cool to 194 before pouring, but it was already forming a film so I re-heated it a bit, then poured. When I unmolded the cane I found something that reminds me of jump lines, and the flowers where not completely covered by wax. It seems a cold pour (at 212*!!!!). You can see it in the last pic, I hope.

I don't understand the behaviour and the oh so white color it has. When lit it is not to bad, but I always thought that plain paraffin was the one I used before. I looked at all the canse in this gallery, they seem pretty white! Can you please tell me your opinions?

Thank you very much!

post-1267-139458396533_thumb.jpg

Sabrina....that doesn't look like straight paraffin...it looks like there are additives.....there is no reason to melt on direct heat......only if there are additives that are plastic.....I know you are adding micro to make your cane wax harder....but at what percentage? I am thinking that you might have to use something other than micro to your regular lower mp wax to increase hardness. I am sorry that you can't get regular hurricane wax. Is this wax supposed to be the same as the last? Tell me exactly what you added. What did the supplier tell you this wax is? Could be a blend for pillars...Donita

Hi Donita, the supplier says it's plain paraffin. On the bags there is written "paraffin" and the meltin point.

Tomorrow I will email them with the pics I took.

I'm totally pissed off!

I added 10% Micro. The wax was white and hard to melt even before adding micro.

I'm getting mad!!!!

Forgot to say: the lady told me they use this wax to do some "hurricanes" as you can see in the link:

http://secure.greenconsulting.it/lacereria/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=2

They use a tea-light inside, but they are colored and opaque.

Their wax isn't translucent. Are they a large company? Ask them exactly what is in their wax because if there is nothing in it then it should not be opaque and being hard to melt just doesn't make any sense to me. They are not being truthful....that is ridiculous. So if you are trying to use a wax with additives and then adding micro....you won't have a translucent candle. Call them and let me know. Donita

Don't know why it didn't melt easily, but what type of thermometer are you using? I know that a long time ago, I bought a new thermometer (glass candy type) and it was way off compared to the other two I was using. You may want to test yours.

The 'cane on the left looks like regular paraffin & the one on the right looks like my 1554 'cane wax, which has a melt point of 163*f. Good 'cane wax is supposed to be translucent. However, when I used it to pour into a couple of new pillar molds (the best way I know for certain to determine volume w/o having to use water & math), it came out as white looking as your righty. It's not visually displeasing, which is to say the one on the right looks alright. What I do find interesting is that for 'cane wax, it sure does have a low melt point (132-138), but, as you said, because it's so hard to melt, the wax has to be something else other than straight paraffin ... at least, in combo w/ additives. Well, you do have the Queen on the case. I'm sure between the two of you you'll get to the bottom of the matter.

Come to think of it ... I seem to recall having problems melting the 1554 by the double boiler method, which is what convinced me that it was time to buy a presto pot.

Regarding the jump lines ... did you give your 'cane a water bath? If so, was the water already in the bucket before you put your molded 'cane in it or did you put the 'cane in a bucket & then add the water? If you did it this way, you'll get jump lines.

Don't know why it didn't melt easily, but what type of thermometer are you using? I know that a long time ago, I bought a new thermometer (glass candy type) and it was way off compared to the other two I was using. You may want to test yours.

Hi Dee, I'm using a normal thermometer, not a digital one. It works fine. After two hours of double boiling the wax had to be melted!!

Hi, sorry but I don't know what type of wax is 1554!

Hi see many hurricanse in this gallery, and almost all aren't so transparent as the one I did with poinsettas.

So maybe this wax can be fine, I have to let walls more thin, it's ok, but they can't tell me it has a low MP when there's no way I can melt it!!

Also it smells (yes, I recognize waxes with my nose!) more like stearin than paraffin, paraffin when it's in the bag has almost no smell, while stearin has a typical smell.

I believe it has an hardener such luster crystals inside. Now I'll write an email and try to explain all better than I can.

Thanks to all!

ETA: I didn't use a water bath. The mold was at room temp, maybe a little cold, I better heat it before pouring next time.

The 'cane on the left looks like regular paraffin & the one on the right looks like my 1554 'cane wax, which has a melt point of 163*f. Good 'cane wax is supposed to be translucent. However, when I used it to pour into a couple of new pillar molds (the best way I know for certain to determine volume w/o having to use water & math), it came out as white looking as your righty. It's not visually displeasing, which is to say the one on the right looks alright. What I do find interesting is that for 'cane wax, it sure does have a low melt point (132-138), but, as you said, because it's so hard to melt, the wax has to be something else other than straight paraffin ... at least, in combo w/ additives. Well, you do have the Queen on the case. I'm sure between the two of you you'll get to the bottom of the matter.

Come to think of it ... I seem to recall having problems melting the 1554 by the double boiler method, which is what convinced me that it was time to buy a presto pot.

Regarding the jump lines ... did you give your 'cane a water bath? If so, was the water already in the bucket before you put your molded 'cane in it or did you put the 'cane in a bucket & then add the water? If you did it this way, you'll get jump lines.

Hi Dee, I'm using a normal thermometer, not a digital one. It works fine. After two hours of double boiling the wax had to be melted!!

Yes, the melting thing was very puzzling. Just mentioned the thermometer thing 'cause I was so surprised that mine was so off. Now I test new ones all the time :). I think that the wax must have had a very high mp. I only use a double boiler to keep wax warm. Don't think you can get the wax over 200 with one. Also I found that if the water level in the double boiler isn't at the same height as the wax in the melting pot, I takes a long time for the wax to melt.

Hi Dee, I suppose the wax has already some additive.. but they continue to say it has the MP they told me.

I swear I always melt my wax in a double boiler, and I never seen a thing like that, if the temp in the pot was 185F the wax had to be completely melted (it's correct??) not half liquid and half solid. This behaviour it's more of a hard thing such as micro 180,, but I was melting only paraffin (this is the theory...):confused: