first try with palm wax test results

Veronica

Yep waterfall...Blue lava....messy but it looks cool....T

:D

That is definitely a waterfall.....lol....that is why I quit making those candles. Never spent enough time figuring out the wicking. It makes a difference if it is round or odd shaped too...more so than paraffing...IMO....I am not an expert on palm and never will be. lol.....:D Donita

My experience with Palm was better using RRD wicks. What is the width (top, middle and bottom) of your candle? Another thing with Palm, they develop air pockets inside during the cool down. You MUST constantly keep your relief holes open and I take my heat gun and hit it every other time I keep the build up melted into my holes. HTH

Well, you'll definately want a smaller wick! :D

I know, I'm Queen at stating the obvious ... it's the only thing I know for sure. ;)

Hopefully you already know that palm wax will not completely consume itself & that a thin outer shell is desireable. Of course, getting it to burn that way is always the trick. The only thing about the wicking that I've really figured out is to try 'em all. I'm in the process of experimenting w/ different shaped molds. God only knows!!!

Good luck w/ yours!

Love that dark blue color you got.

My experience with Palm was better using RRD wicks. What is the width (top, middle and bottom) of your candle? Another thing with Palm, they develop air pockets inside during the cool down. You MUST constantly keep your relief holes open and I take my heat gun and hit it every other time I keep the build up melted into my holes. HTH

Top 1 1/4"

Middle 1 1/2"

bottom 1 3/4"

I didn't use heat gun, but did keep poking in relief holes.

Top 1 1/4"

Middle 1 1/2"

bottom 1 3/4"

I didn't use heat gun, but did keep poking in relief holes.

Hmmm that's gonna be tough with an RRD. The smallest RRD is a 29 and it's recommended for 2-2.25" candles. NOW, that being said, Palm can be a mysterious animal. You could try it, but most likely it will blow out. What kind of wicks do you have?

Hmmm that's gonna be tough with an RRD. The smallest RRD is a 29 and it's recommended for 2-2.25" candles. NOW, that being said, Palm can be a mysterious animal. You could try it, but most likely it will blow out. What kind of wicks do you have?

Right now all I have is the 24 & 45 ply flat braid, and the 3/0 I use for cut & carved candles. I need to order more samples!

You might want to try a sample pack of Eco, CD and/or LX. The palm waxes are really cool but they can be a beast to wick. I wish I could give you a clear cut answer as to which wick to try but I can't. Good luck and let us know what you come up with. By the way, your cut-n-carve candles are very nice! ;)

You might want to try a sample pack of Eco, CD and/or LX. The palm waxes are really cool but they can be a beast to wick. I wish I could give you a clear cut answer as to which wick to try but I can't. Good luck and let us know what you come up with. By the way, your cut-n-carve candles are very nice! ;)

Thank you Sherie,

I should have ordered more samples when I ordered the wax. Up until now the cut & carves the only ones I've made. I always pick the hard ones to start with...don't ask me why??? LOL:D

I hate to say it but you are going to find it almost impossible to find a wick for that size candle using palm. I tried to wick a 2" dia. for months. If it was small enough to not cause a blowout then it would sputter out as it burned down due to lack of airflow. I keep thinking I'll start testing again but I don't think there is a single wick type/size that I havn't already tried. Which is a bummer because I really wanted a smaller dia.

Good luck !