On the hunt for C2 replacement! Hot pour soy.

Although I use C-3, I generally have added some C-2 to it to help explediant the cure and improve the scent throw. Now I am working on my last box of C-2 to add to my C-3 and it's time to go on the hunt of the replacement for the C2. I've enjoyed this blend for nearly a year!

I'm looking for 100% soy that is a HOT POUR. 160-170. So far, I've looked at serveral sites and theirs soys are medium to cold pour. C-# is a hot pour wax so I need another hot popur so that they don't pclash when I pour.

And No, I have no desire to do a blend. I am strictly sold on soy I use to use the 6006 soy several years ago but I hear IGI reformulated it and it's a slab wax.

Anyone use it? Is it a hot pour?

TIA

6006 is a slab. Its also a para/soy blend. I have some but have not tried it yet. My info from my seller is you pour at 170F and it can hold up to 9% FO. I am also searching for a perfect hot pour wax, so that is why I'm looking at soy/paraffin blends, but I'd like to keep my current soy wax (Eco CBA) if possible - decent throw, zero wetspots, zero frost.

If you want a 100% soy wax that is hot pour you can try a few pounds of Ecosoya Advanced Container Blend (right now there are two versions out there - the new version does improve on cold throw IMO). The temp pouring range is all over the board. Basically, the smaller the container the higher recommended pour temp. Personally, in my 8 oz. containers I've found no difference in pouring anywhere between 130 and 170, so I've been pouring at whatever temp its at after I add FO - that means around 160 or 165. I personally consider this wax either a two-pour or a heat-gun needed wax if used on its own because I've been having small cave-ins by the wick - at least so far in the current high-heat temps most of us have been having - but you are going to blend it so you'd have to test to see what results you would get.

HTH

You could try the new SS wax from Southern Scentsations. That gets poured at 160*. I've been using it. It seems to be good. Seems to have a good cold and hot throw. I would like to hear someone else's opinion of it. I like it, but most of my customers like my old wax so.......????? But then they are not the ones making them. :D

Oh yes, it is soy.....can't remember if it is 100% or blend with other botonical oils.

First of all, C-2 is no longer made. They discontinued it when the came out with the C3.

C2 had a much higher scent load, cured in half the time and because you could add more scent the throws were stronger! Both hot and cold. There was far more frosting with the C-2 and it didn't take color as well as the C-3 but those are minor when you compair the scent throws and the cure times.

C-2 was the very best wax I ever used and I was lucky to find and buy 200 pounds of it over the last year.

I am truely going to miss it!:(

Thanks Fire and Ice. Yes, I did hear that they replaced it with the C-3. I was curious to know what I/we are missing out on. lol Darn, why the heck did they discontinue it. :( I mean, I know we all dread the excessive frosting, bumpy tops, but if given a choice I would rather have the wax to have the ability of holding more FO and having a better throw than having less frosting and taking colors better. Maybe most don't feel this way but it sure seems like it -- almost everyone seems to search for that KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF throw or something better than they already have. lol

What is the most FO that you have put in a 100% (not combined with the C-2) C-3 soy candle that it still held well? And, what would it do if it did not hold a higher amount well -- bleed excessively in a warm/hot environment before burned, bleed even if it was sitting (unlit) in a nice room temperature, or FO settling on the bottom?

I have only burned 4 candles made with C-3 and so far the cold and hot scent throw has been REALLY good. However, I used between 8-9 percent. I have not noticed any bleeding as of yet. Just By Nature said that 6% is recommended although 7-10 percent may be used with certain FO. The four candles I made are: Mulled Cider, Comfy Cabin, Blueberry Verbena, and Country Grove. I was curious as to how it compared with CB-3 Calsoy. So far, I think the scent throw is as good (really good). It has a lot less frosting when the candle is new. After a burn you can get some frosting but not more and actually less than the CB-3 -- have the same scents made in the CB-3 Calsoy. I noticed that you can pour the C-3 hotter and get smoother tops than if you poured the CB-3 hotter. However, if you pour the CB-3 cooler you get real pretty tops. CB-3 appears to burn slower in my jars than the C-3. Actually, for my cornered jars, the C-3 burns off the sides better -- less residue and a really level melt pool. I like both really well. I would have to test the C-3 more to really know. I should add that this is in my household environment and both of these soys could act different in a different environment -- re frost, etc.

If you were only able to use less than 7 - 8 percent, then I can see why the throw would not seem as good. With 8-9 it seems to throw really strong -- at least with the oils I used. And, my nose is really hard to please. Especially since I test so much and may have a constant case of candlenose. lol

Thanks for the info. :)

~Holly

I'm so mad they discontiuned it. I still have a couple of cases left and been testing a few other soy waxes and so far none have even compared to the scent throw C 2 had. I wonder if enough of us complain to Cargil if they'll bring it back?? (Just a thought.) I tried the C 3 wax they brought out to replace the C 2 and was not happy at all with it. There was no comparison at all.

My supplier told me that Cargils is coming out with yet another container wax that is supposed to be a combination of C2 and C3. But frankly, If they would just bring back the C2, I'd be in heaven.

Unforunately, far too many chandlers whined about the frosting and the color problems of the C2! I could kick each and every one of them!:mad: Yes a candle should look nice but what people gained for looks sake, they surrendered shorter cure time and scent throw. If we can make the frosting fade with a heat gun, what the hecks the problem?

NOTHING beats C2!:cry2:

Holly, the most scent I put in the C-3 is 9% and that really pushing it but I can only do 7% with anything with a cinnamon base to it. I make several different kinds of Cinnamon candles or candles with cinnamon in them and they all have to be at 7%. They are very strong in the C-3 but with C-2 Everything could go 10% no problem! and the candles cured in about two days! I had a much faster turn around with the C-2. Time is money and though I paid more for the C-2, It was worth every penny!

Hi Fire and Ice,

Thanks for your response. So, the cinnamon candles at 7% are really strong in the C-3 Cargill but if it could go to 10% it would be even stronger? Sorry for all the questions -- just curious. I can understand liking a less curing time. I notice that with the CB-3 Calsoy, it does not seem to need a long cure time. I can use up to 9% for sure and I have used 10% with vanillas and succeeded. Thanks again. :smiley2: