questions re GW 435 (Golden)

I'm glad the scent throw is the same...that is the main thing i shoot for. Since I will start with tins, what the sides look like doesn't matter. I did order some Eco's...so i will start with those first. Do you have a recommendation for a 8oz tin? I think they are just over 3" diameter.

Help!!! I poured my first soy candle with the 435 and I got TONS of frosting!!! Basically the whole top looks like one big snowflake!! I heated the wax up to about 185-195, added color (dye chips) then added scent (BCN's Verbena Berry...about 1.25 oz/lb) @ about 175 degrees. I stirred often and vigorously until wax cooled to under 100 but it wasn't exactly "slushy". I poured it into 8oz tins (unheated) and candle cooled slowly in a room heated to approx 72 degrees. I am seriously stressing!! For a "first timer", I though I did pretty much everything right...? Should I have heated up the tin? Right now I am seriously "missing" my DK 5766 parrafin and its creamy, beautiful texture and perfect tops!! The cold scent throw seems really good, at least! Any ideas???

Also If you are pouring in tins do you have to use color. I dont color my wax that goes in the tins. I know that color has alot to do with frosting.

I pour mine at around 100-110 and have not had any problems with frosting or wet spots.

But I color VERY FEW of my candles.

Patricia

I guess I don't "have" to color my candles...but I purposely got the tins with the clear tops so you could see the "pretty" colors and to easily ID the different scents at a glance. I DID seem to have to add ALOT of dye chips to even get the soy to a medium shade. I did wonder about that. I think i will try some other dyes in the future. Thanks!!!

I know that unless, like you said, you add alot of color chips you will only get pastel colors. Try the EVO liquid drops and see if you like that for color. I have been using the liquid dyes from Northstar and I like them but they are thick BUT they dont stink.

Soy will not, as far as I know, take color like paraffin. Also you will not get the perfect creamy look of paraffin either. But I like the soy because of it being "natural" and my customers dont seem to mind the different look.

I am going to introduce the para/soy blend in the fall for the scents that soy does not like. I am going to use the CB30 from Swans. They will send you a nice free sample to test and I was impressed. I liked Greenleafs BUT shipping is to high and wait time 4-5 days UPS is to long.

Patricia

Thanks for the info...YES! I was reading the thread on the EVO dyes and I think I am going to try them next. I think I can deal with the "less than perfect" look of the soy for the added benefits of a cleaner burn. My "customers" just seem to want a candle that smells strong and good...which is fine with me. I will just try to make the outside "packaging" look as pretty as possible! Now I get to starttesting wicks tonight...I hope 24 hours curing time is acceptable because I can't wait!!!

When you are testing for wicks you can usually test after the candle cools. If you are testing scent throw 24 hours has been good for me, Although some scents can take longer and all soy candles smell better after a few days to a week curing. I figure it like this, If I can smell it in 24 hours then it can only get better with time!!

Patricia

I put in an eco 12 about 1.5 hour ago and the melt pool looks good (about 2') and scent throw appears to be pretty good (BCN's Verbena Berry...which I'm not in love with...but at least it appears to be strong!). No mushrooms, flickering or smoking (yet!). I ordered a bunch of those eco dyes earlier today so we'll see how that goes when i get them!

I found the eco 12 to be a little to big, but all of us get differnent results with the same candles. I am going to test a CD18 in one. I tried a CD20 but it was to big...Oh the eco 12 started out OK but was to big half way down. Make sure you test all the way down. I find the eco 10 was a little slow to begin with but perfect on the 3rd and 4th burns.

Patricia

Thanks...i was thinking the Eco 12 might turn out to be too big too but i want to burn it down to be sure. I wish i could burn candles at work...so i could continue the test! Now I have to wait until I get home to test again. Tonight I also plan on puring some of the sample 464 I received. Did you like that wax? Did you find it to be substantially "better" than the 435?